DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/168088-straighten-bent-crankshaft-mower.html)

[email protected] July 4th 06 02:12 PM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

Just wondering. I got a push mower with a bent crankshaft. The mower
starts on one pull and runs great except it vibrates so bad that it's
near impossible to hold it for more than a few minutes. I heard they
have some sort of jig to straighten them, but also heard about doing
it with a hammer and wood block. Is this really possible? If yes,
where does one get a jig, or what is the method with the hammer?
I dont need to get it 100% accurate, but right now it's beyond using
as it is. It's just an old beater so I am not willing to buy a new
crank unless I happen across a cheap used one. But if I can
straighten it for a few bucks, I'll give it a try. The worse I can do
is destroy it, and it's junk right now unless I get it straighter.

By the way, it's s 3.5hp Tecumseh

Mark

Tony Hwang July 4th 06 03:44 PM

wrote:
Just wondering. I got a push mower with a bent crankshaft. The mower
starts on one pull and runs great except it vibrates so bad that it's
near impossible to hold it for more than a few minutes. I heard they
have some sort of jig to straighten them, but also heard about doing
it with a hammer and wood block. Is this really possible? If yes,
where does one get a jig, or what is the method with the hammer?
I dont need to get it 100% accurate, but right now it's beyond using
as it is. It's just an old beater so I am not willing to buy a new
crank unless I happen across a cheap used one. But if I can
straighten it for a few bucks, I'll give it a try. The worse I can do
is destroy it, and it's junk right now unless I get it straighter.

By the way, it's s 3.5hp Tecumseh

Mark

Hi,
Think it's time for new mower if shaft is really bent.

m Ransley July 4th 06 04:24 PM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

Have you tried a new blade

Jeff July 4th 06 04:52 PM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

Did that when I was a teenager. Hit a softball when cutting high grass.
Just lay motor over, BE SURE to disconnect plug wire. Take off blade,
figure out direction shaft is bent, the beat with hammer, be sure not to hit
threads etc. Worse case buy a new mower.

Italian July 4th 06 07:05 PM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

As suggested below first I would try a new blade or balance the one you
have if its not to far gone..if it still vibrates you know it is the
shaft....

dpb July 4th 06 09:16 PM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

All he has to do is check the runout w/ the blade off to verify it is
the shaft.

If i has run any length of time that way the bearings quite possibly
are also gone...

Maker of Rules July 4th 06 10:39 PM

wrote in message
Just wondering. I got a push mower with a bent crankshaft. The mower
starts on one pull and runs great except it vibrates so bad that it's
near impossible to hold it for more than a few minutes. I heard they
have some sort of jig to straighten them, but also heard about doing
it with a hammer and wood block. Is this really possible? If yes,
where does one get a jig, or what is the method with the hammer?
I dont need to get it 100% accurate, but right now it's beyond using
as it is. It's just an old beater so I am not willing to buy a new
crank unless I happen across a cheap used one. But if I can
straighten it for a few bucks, I'll give it a try. The worse I can do
is destroy it, and it's junk right now unless I get it straighter.

By the way, it's s 3.5hp Tecumseh

Mark

Pick up a DVD of "The African Queen." Pay special attention to the part
where Humphrey Bogart straightens out the bent drive shaft of the boat using
nothing but a sledge hammer and a scrap-wood fire. Inspirational!!

Robert Barr July 5th 06 01:04 AM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

If you really like this mower, and it ran OK right up until the 'event',
your best bet is to find a brand new short block. Google is your friend
here. Compare its cost to that of a new mower with a warranty.

At best, your basketcase will run for a while before destroying itself.
At worst, it will injure you when it happens.

Don Young July 5th 06 03:57 AM

wrote in message
Just wondering. I got a push mower with a bent crankshaft. The mower
starts on one pull and runs great except it vibrates so bad that it's
near impossible to hold it for more than a few minutes. I heard they
have some sort of jig to straighten them, but also heard about doing
it with a hammer and wood block. Is this really possible? If yes,
where does one get a jig, or what is the method with the hammer?
I dont need to get it 100% accurate, but right now it's beyond using
as it is. It's just an old beater so I am not willing to buy a new
crank unless I happen across a cheap used one. But if I can
straighten it for a few bucks, I'll give it a try. The worse I can do
is destroy it, and it's junk right now unless I get it straighter.

By the way, it's s 3.5hp Tecumseh

Mark

Some mower shops have in-the-motor crankshaft straightening jigs even though
no manufacturer recommends doing so. I have successfully straightened them
using a long heavy pipe over the shaft and a heavy hammer. The last one was
a 5HP Tecumseh which has been run hard for about three years since and is
still going. The hardest part is holding the motor securely enough. You need
some sort of indicator to tell how much and in what direction the bend is
and how your straightening is coming along.

That is definitely not considered good practice as it is hard on the bearing
and the shaft may crack, but it definitely is possible.

Don Young

Stormin Mormon July 5th 06 04:40 AM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

Could also very easily be a blade out of balance. Much easier to fix
the blade.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[email protected] July 5th 06 10:12 AM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 21:57:26 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

OK, that's what I wanted to know. I will see what the local shops can
do, or try it myself if too costly. If I wreck it, it's already junk
the way it is anyhow. The shaft is definately bent. I can see it.
It's VERY bent. The blade even chopped the tip off one of the bolts
that hold the handle to the frame. It vibrates so much it creeps
across the lawn by itself if I let go. My hands can not take the
vibration for more than a few minutes. But I do like the mower. It's
always been reliable and it's lightweight and simple, unlike most of
the newer ones. So, if I do wreck it, I may check into a short block.
And there are always used mowers too taht I can strip the engine block
from.

I'd say the shaft is 1/4" off center, as I turn it.

Andy Asberry July 5th 06 10:48 PM

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 08:12:44 -0500, wrote:

Just wondering. I got a push mower with a bent crankshaft. The mower
starts on one pull and runs great except it vibrates so bad that it's
near impossible to hold it for more than a few minutes. I heard they
have some sort of jig to straighten them, but also heard about doing
it with a hammer and wood block. Is this really possible? If yes,
where does one get a jig, or what is the method with the hammer?
I dont need to get it 100% accurate, but right now it's beyond using
as it is. It's just an old beater so I am not willing to buy a new
crank unless I happen across a cheap used one. But if I can
straighten it for a few bucks, I'll give it a try. The worse I can do
is destroy it, and it's junk right now unless I get it straighter.

By the way, it's s 3.5hp Tecumseh

Mark

Straightened or not, worse can happen. You do NOT want to try to avoid
a spinning blade with a stub of crankshaft attached. You were correct
when you said it was junk.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Goedjn July 6th 06 03:45 PM

Straighten Bent Crankshaft on Mower

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:48:44 -0500, Andy Asberry
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 08:12:44 -0500, wrote:

Just wondering. I got a push mower with a bent crankshaft. The mower
starts on one pull and runs great except it vibrates so bad that it's
near impossible to hold it for more than a few minutes. I heard they
have some sort of jig to straighten them, but also heard about doing
it with a hammer and wood block. Is this really possible? If yes,
where does one get a jig, or what is the method with the hammer?
I dont need to get it 100% accurate, but right now it's beyond using
as it is. It's just an old beater so I am not willing to buy a new
crank unless I happen across a cheap used one. But if I can
straighten it for a few bucks, I'll give it a try. The worse I can do
is destroy it, and it's junk right now unless I get it straighter.

You'd want to anneal it first, hammer it to shape, and then
harden it again. If you know what your doing (which I
don't) it shouldn't be hard. If you don't know what
you're doing, then you'll have metal fatigue around the
bend, which means (as another poster pointed out) that
the shaft will shatter at some random time, at
which point the blade will turn into a propeller, and
chop you off at the ankles.