DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sump Pump is full. Please help (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/167694-sump-pump-full-please-help.html)

[email protected] June 30th 06 02:17 PM

Sump Pump is full. Please help

Hello,

It has been raining for the past 4 days straight. Sump Pump is full
with water and the pump will start working the water will disappear but
will come back in a second.

Any idea what it could be.

Thank you!

mrsgator88 June 30th 06 02:37 PM

Sump Pump is full. Please help

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

It has been raining for the past 4 days straight. Sump Pump is full
with water and the pump will start working the water will disappear but
will come back in a second.

Any idea what it could be.

Thank you!

Yes, its lots of water. I need more info. Where does your pumped water go?
To a sewer, or into your yard? If it goes to a sewer, then you simply have
a lot of water in the ground. If it goes to your yard, and not far enough
away from your foundation, it is _possible_ that the same water is working
its way back into your sump.

Maker of Rules June 30th 06 03:39 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

It has been raining for the past 4 days straight. Sump Pump is full
with water and the pump will start working the water will disappear but
will come back in a second.

Any idea what it could be.

Thank you!

I water is coming back down the outlet pipe, you need to install a check
valve. Home Depot is your friend here...

Banty June 30th 06 03:43 PM

Sump Pump is full. Please help

In article , mrsgator88
says...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

It has been raining for the past 4 days straight. Sump Pump is full
with water and the pump will start working the water will disappear but
will come back in a second.

Any idea what it could be.

Thank you!

Yes, its lots of water. I need more info. Where does your pumped water go?
To a sewer, or into your yard? If it goes to a sewer, then you simply have
a lot of water in the ground. If it goes to your yard, and not far enough
away from your foundation, it is _possible_ that the same water is working
its way back into your sump.

Or, it could be working against a high water table, or a lot of runoff. IOW,
doing its job.

More info is needed. Are you in the northeast?

Banty

EXT June 30th 06 04:10 PM

Sump Pump is full. Please help

If the outlet pipe terminates underwater, either in a ditch, puddle or
sewer, it will siphon water back into the sump the moment the pump shuts
off. You need either a check valve, which I find often unreliable in sump
pump use because they often get stuck open, or you need an air admittance
valve at the highest point in the discharge pipe, this lets air in the line
so it can drain out both directions from the point where the valve is
installed. I simply used a well pump foot valve which has been in use for 35
years. This is also important in areas subject to freezing, because a check
valve will keep the pipe filled with water which can freeze. The air
admittance valve drains the pipe so that it does not freeze.

Toller June 30th 06 05:01 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

It has been raining for the past 4 days straight. Sump Pump is full
with water and the pump will start working the water will disappear but
will come back in a second.

Any idea what it could be.

You must have bought the pump from a magician.

(doing a little phishing with all that water?)

mm July 1st 06 02:25 AM

On 30 Jun 2006 06:17:46 -0700, wrote:

Hello,

It has been raining for the past 4 days straight. Sump Pump is full
with water and the pump will start working the water will disappear but
will come back in a second.

Any idea what it could be.

It could be a troll.

But I'll play. Where does the water come in: from the pipe or pipes,
maybe 4" black plastic pipe or maybe some other kind or location of
pipe, close to the top of the sump; at the bottom of the sump
underneath the water; or both?

Thank you!

mm July 1st 06 02:31 AM

Sump Pump is full. Please help

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:10:57 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

You need either a check valve, which I find often unreliable in sump
pump use because they often get stuck open, or

They get stuck open by dirt and junk in the water, I presumem, yes????

What about when they work ok. Does the valve take up any space inside
the pipe and slow down the expulsion of the water??

It seems like it must take up quite a bit, because if the valve plate
is a stiff plastic circle, just a bit bigger than the inside pipe
diameter at that point, how far open such a circle go? Not all the
way.

And if the plastic circle was smaller, that would mean the pipe
narrowed at that point, and that would be a restriction too.

In a check valve for plastic pipe, is the valve plate a stiff plastic
circle?