DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   washing machine discharge water...need help (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/166812-washing-machine-discharge-water-need-help.html)

[email protected] June 26th 06 12:48 AM

washing machine discharge water...need help

i want to collect the discharged water from the washing machine, is
there a hose end adapter to fit a regular garden hose and where do I
find one if they exist. tia

Edwin Pawlowski June 26th 06 01:07 AM

wrote in message
i want to collect the discharged water from the washing machine, is
there a hose end adapter to fit a regular garden hose and where do I
find one if they exist. tia

A garden hose will present problems. Best to plumb it to the collection tank
with PVC (same as drains use) or a large diameter hose. If you put
restrictions in the line, you will have a backup in the machine. Once
collected, you can use a smaller hose to take it to the next step.

Be aware that there are going to be a lot of contaminants in the water so
check that it is safe for your intended use.

[email protected] June 26th 06 03:20 AM

washing machine discharge water...need help

thanks for the tips, i was concerned about stepping the diameter down
by that much. i will head over to the home depot and see if they can
put me onto something. the intended use of the water is for shrubs.
again thanks.

[email protected] June 26th 06 06:10 AM

washing machine discharge water...need help

I would pump the washer into another container, maybe a large garbage
can maybe. Then, use another pump to pump it outside through a garden
hose or pvc pipe. Keep in mind, though, that fine holes in any
sprinkler head may get clogged by anything in the water, including
lint. Some sprinkler heads that attach to a hose have a wide opening
that will work better.

[email protected] June 26th 06 08:58 PM

washing machine discharge water...need help

good idea, i can pull the hose out of the drain and put it into a
large trash can, could work. there will not be anything to clog, i
will take the water by pail to the shrubs and foundation...thanks

[email protected] June 26th 06 09:36 PM

washing machine discharge water...need help

i would use a cheap sump pump for watering, less work than pail by
pail. surround pump door screen to prevent clogging.

many detergents act as fertilizers, you may be trimming more

[email protected] June 26th 06 10:16 PM

wrote:
i want to collect the discharged water from the washing machine, is
there a hose end adapter to fit a regular garden hose and where do I
find one if they exist. tia

As you mention, long ago, I used to pump into into a heavy duty wheeled
garbage container and then wheel out to where I needed it.

30 gallons of water weighs some 240 pounds, so it ain't lite lifting.

Ether Jones June 27th 06 06:52 AM

wrote:
i would use a cheap sump pump for watering, less work than pail by
pail. surround pump door screen to prevent clogging.

many detergents act as fertilizers, you may be trimming more

Shrubs love chlorine too, right?

lp13-30 June 28th 06 05:31 AM

washing machine discharge water...need help

On some machines the outlet of the drain hose must be above the top of
the tub or the water can possibly be siphoned out of the tub during the
wash cycle. Mine drains into a 2" pvc pipe which runs under the house to
the front yard where it is hooked to black poly pipe. Besides not
wanting to waste the water, I am on a septic tank. The yard seems to
like it just fine, though I will admit I seldom use bleach.