Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill

Default Strange Neon Night Light

Gerry Atrick wrote:
I got one of those orange colored neon night lights in my bathroom.
When the bathroom light is off, this neon light flickers all the time
(which usually means the neon bulb is getting weak). However, when I
turn on the bathroom ceiling light, the night light stops flickering.
WHAT THE HECK?????? This makes no sense at all.

Note: (There is not any photo cell on the night light).

Gerry

I believe that is because the ceiling light reduces the
ionization potential of the neon just enough to allow it
to go ahead and break down. It isn't enough to actually
ionize the neon, it just adds that tiny bit of energy to
make it ready to go.

Don't ask me to explain that fully, it has been a long
time since I studied that in physics class.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Bill Gill wrote:
Gerry Atrick wrote:

I got one of those orange colored neon night lights in my bathroom.
When the bathroom light is off, this neon light flickers all the time
(which usually means the neon bulb is getting weak). However, when I
turn on the bathroom ceiling light, the night light stops flickering.
WHAT THE HECK?????? This makes no sense at all.

Note: (There is not any photo cell on the night light).

Gerry

I believe that is because the ceiling light reduces the ionization
potential of the neon just enough to allow it to go ahead and break
down. It isn't enough to actually ionize the neon, it just adds that
tiny bit of energy to make it ready to go.

Don't ask me to explain that fully, it has been a long time since I
studied that in physics class.

Bill Gill

I agree. Adding energy to the system alters its performance. These
are sensitive devices.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Bill Gill wrote:
Gerry Atrick wrote:

I got one of those orange colored neon night lights in my bathroom.
When the bathroom light is off, this neon light flickers all the time
(which usually means the neon bulb is getting weak). However, when I
turn on the bathroom ceiling light, the night light stops flickering.
WHAT THE HECK?????? This makes no sense at all.

Note: (There is not any photo cell on the night light).

Gerry

I believe that is because the ceiling light reduces the ionization
potential of the neon just enough to allow it to go ahead and break
down. It isn't enough to actually ionize the neon, it just adds that
tiny bit of energy to make it ready to go.

Don't ask me to explain that fully, it has been a long time since I
studied that in physics class.

Bill Gill

Great answer!

And it reminded me that back in the '50s, during the "duck and cover"
cold war daze I follewd plans in a copy of Radio & Electronics magazine
and built a psuedo Geiger counter out of an NE51 neon bulb, some "B"
batteries, headphones and a couple of other components.

The bulb was shielded from light and biased just below ionization
potential. Energetic particles from radioactivity were supposed to make
it fire and create a "click" in the headphones.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Survey on Newsgroup Behavior Jens Arndt Home Repair 27 November 2nd 04 01:45 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM