Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian

Default Floor Replacement

I have a very old piece of property with about 3300 sq.ft. upstairs
that needs an entirely new floor. It currently has straight plank
hardwood on top of a diagonal plank subfloor, and both are rotting and
need to be removed so I can start the new floor from the joists. On
the plus side, there are no interior walls to bother about, just a
handful of old non-structural studs that can be removed to leave a wide
open space to work in.
My question is how difficult is it going to be to tear out this old
floor, and are there any tools that would make the job easier aside
from a crow-bar and claw hammer? I have no access from below, so the
job has to be done entirely from above. I've never done anything quite
like this before, but it seems as long as I can get the old floor out,
getting the new one in won't be as much of a problem. Finally, am I
wrong to think that I may be able to do this job without professional
help?