Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jiggling handle doesn't help

I have a nearly-new Toto toilet that runs on after you flush it. As I said
in the subject line, jiggling the handle doesn't do anything. On a few rare
occasions, it will stop on its own after what seems a reasonable amount of
time but it usually runs on, as much as all day long. We discovered the
problem after flushing just before leaving for work (around 8 am) and it was
still running when I got home at supper time. Until that time, I knew it
was slow but I figured it would stop on its own eventually. It had always
seemed to.

The way I get it to stop running is turning on the water in the sink next to
it. Maybe other faucets would have the same effect but I haven't tested
that. After it's run for several minutes, you can stop it by turning the
water on. I've noticed I can speed up the process a bit by turning the
water on and off several times quickly.

I expect there's some fairly simple adjustment to make inside the tank but
all the searches I've done online for info come up with hits that relate
more to faulty flapper seals and the like. Has anyone experienced something
like this? What was the problem and what adjustment did you make to fix it?
BTW, in case it makes a difference, it was installed by a plumber, not by
me.
DDW
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dont use" wrote in message
m...
I have a nearly-new Toto toilet that runs on after you flush it. As I said
in the subject line, jiggling the handle doesn't do anything. On a few
rare
occasions, it will stop on its own after what seems a reasonable amount of
time but it usually runs on, as much as all day long. We discovered the
problem after flushing just before leaving for work (around 8 am) and it
was
still running when I got home at supper time. Until that time, I knew it
was slow but I figured it would stop on its own eventually. It had always
seemed to.

Did you open the tank cover to look? Usually the cause and the solution is
pretty obvious. Common causes:

(1) the flap is stuck slightly open
(2) the floating valve is stuck open or didn't float high enough to shut the
valve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:37:16 GMT, "Dont use" wrote:
I expect there's some fairly simple adjustment to make inside the tank but
all the searches I've done online for info come up with hits that relate
more to faulty flapper seals and the like. Has anyone experienced something
like this? What was the problem and what adjustment did you make to fix it?
BTW, in case it makes a difference, it was installed by a plumber, not by
me.
DDW

Try cleaning the flapper. Slime can (in my recent case) prevent the
flapper from getting a good seal when it drops.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out www.korky.com, they make the fill valves. There are some
troubleshooting tips there. I have 6 Toto's and have to frequently replace
the diaphragm cap because of similar problems.

Cathi
m...