DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone know the proper name of this part?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/166065-anyone-know-proper-name-part.html)

Mark and Kim Smith June 18th 06 05:58 PM

Anyone know the proper name of this part??

The electrical terminal in the picture.
http://www.thedetailzone.com/FPMount.jpg A search of "binding post"
brings up similar but speaker type of terminal. I need the type in the
picture. TIA.

ameijers June 18th 06 06:21 PM

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
The electrical terminal in the picture.
http://www.thedetailzone.com/FPMount.jpg A search of "binding post"
brings up similar but speaker type of terminal. I need the type in the
picture. TIA.

Try 'terminal post'. Is there an industrial park in your town? Any good
industrial supply house or electrical supply house that serves
commercial-work electricians will have a plethora of stuff like that.
Downside is, they are probably only open 0800-1630, M-F. Does Digikey have a
website? (Of course, if you buy online, probably have to buy a whole box of
them...) As usual with parts mongers, an old one or exact specs, or the item
it fits into, are helpful for the counter guy to stare at. Best to avoid the
morning and closing time rush periods.

Having said that, I have faked such things using bolts, insulating washers,
and appropriate insulated bushings, with suitable jam nuts.

aem sends...

Mark and Kim Smith June 18th 06 07:22 PM

ameijers wrote:

[...]

Thanks!! I've tried all kinds of querys with no luck. My eyes are
bleary from doing this all morning. I finally gave up, went to McMaster
and got some shouldered plastic washers and some brass screws. I'll
just make my own! Thanks again!

Bud-- June 19th 06 04:31 PM

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
The electrical terminal in the picture.
http://www.thedetailzone.com/FPMount.jpg A search of "binding post"
brings up similar but speaker type of terminal. I need the type in the
picture. TIA.

Without taking it apart, I would expect it is made from a regular screw
and nuts with shoulder washers on both sides where it goes through the
plate. An example in the second column:
http://www.accuratescrew.com/Washers.aspx
The shoulder washer is an isulator and the shoulder keeps the screw
centered as it passes through the plate.

bud--