Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to splice outdoor underground wiring?

I installed some outdoor post lamps. I am located in the Northeast and
used PVC conduit and outdoor wires. At each lamp post, I used a
junction box and spliced wires to power each lamp (I know, mistake,
should have brought the wire all the way into the lamp and spliced
there). Anyway, water is somehow getting into the junction boxes over
the winter. During the summer, even with heavy rain storms, I do not
have any problems.
At the beginning of each summer, I have the to try and "blow out" the
PVC conduits to dry the connections. Its tiime consuming and I have to
dismantle the lamps to accomplish this.

Is there a better way to splice these connections with something other
than wire nuts? Is there a way to make water tight connections?

Thank You.

Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair
James

They make wirenuts that are made for underground. Once installed, the
entire wirenut (and splice) are sealed in a water-proof substance.

You should find them in Lowe's or Home Depot Electric department.

--James--

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

King one step is a gel filled wirenut for that purpose. Ideal also makes
them. I believe HD has the Ideal nut

wrote in message
ups.com...
I installed some outdoor post lamps. I am located in the Northeast and
used PVC conduit and outdoor wires. At each lamp post, I used a
junction box and spliced wires to power each lamp (I know, mistake,
should have brought the wire all the way into the lamp and spliced
there). Anyway, water is somehow getting into the junction boxes over
the winter. During the summer, even with heavy rain storms, I do not
have any problems.
At the beginning of each summer, I have the to try and "blow out" the
PVC conduits to dry the connections. Its tiime consuming and I have to
dismantle the lamps to accomplish this.

Is there a better way to splice these connections with something other
than wire nuts? Is there a way to make water tight connections?

Thank You.

Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson

wrote in message
ups.com...
I installed some outdoor post lamps. I am located in the Northeast and
used PVC conduit and outdoor wires. At each lamp post, I used a
junction box and spliced wires to power each lamp (I know, mistake,
should have brought the wire all the way into the lamp and spliced
there). Anyway, water is somehow getting into the junction boxes over
the winter. During the summer, even with heavy rain storms, I do not
have any problems.
At the beginning of each summer, I have the to try and "blow out" the
PVC conduits to dry the connections. Its tiime consuming and I have to
dismantle the lamps to accomplish this.

Is there a better way to splice these connections with something other
than wire nuts? Is there a way to make water tight connections?

Thank You.

Jack

Try these electrical splice kits. I've seen them at electrical supply
shops:

http://www.uraseal.com/electric/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jackso95, Sid in Sacramento wrote:
jackso95 wrote:

I installed some outdoor post lamps. I am located in the Northeast and
used PVC conduit and outdoor wires. At each lamp post, I used a
junction box and spliced wires to power each lamp (I know, mistake,
should have brought the wire all the way into the lamp and spliced
there). Anyway, water is somehow getting into the junction boxes over
the winter. During the summer, even with heavy rain storms, I do not
have any problems.
At the beginning of each summer, I have the to try and "blow out" the
PVC conduits to dry the connections. Its tiime consuming and I have to
dismantle the lamps to accomplish this.
Is there a better way to splice these connections with something other
than wire nuts? Is there a way to make water tight connections?
Thank You.
Jack

Not a electrician, but I would used electrical tape to wrap my wire nut
connections, then I would gutter spray sealant to cover my boxes to keep
water from penetrating my boxes...JMHO

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Oh Sid, do you realize that you are replying the threads that are years old.. Check the date of the original post and try to stick to those from this year. I'm not bitching but I've been caught off guard because I didn't pay attention to the date. This thread is 9 years old. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Time Traveling Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 12:55 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

Not a electrician, but I would used electrical tape to wrap my wire nut
connections, then I would gutter spray sealant to cover my boxes to keep
water from penetrating my boxes...JMHO

--

Oh Sid, do you realize that you are replying the threads that are years old. Check the date of the
original post and try to stick to those from this year. I'm not bitching but I've been caught off
guard because I didn't pay attention to the date. This thread is 9 years old. ^_^

THAT fails to consider that this is not a private conversation. Some
people READ newsgroups to find out things they need to know.

BTW, I don't currently need to know how to splice underground wiring,
but I may need to do so someday, and could benefit from that knowledge.
And maybe someone could use that info now.

--
"The egg of prayer never yet became a chicken." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is
The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays_]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 11:25:31 AM UTC-5, Sam E wrote:
[...]

Then ask your question or start a new thread on any topic you find interesting in this decade. Anyone here would be glad to get into a conversation with you on just about anything. If you know anything about how Usenet works, you would know that when you pull up old threads, it does cause a problem with private news servers. Not every news service has the unlimited resources of Google. If you see an old topic from the last century, start a new thread in this century. When you pull up the old threads, it screams "NOOB" and there are people who will think you're a poopy head. It does annoy people when you pull up those old threads which aren't archived on other servers.. I'm trying to help you, ignore me if you wish but you keep it up and many people will consider you to be a troll and may filter you out. Then it could be hard for you to get into a discussion with anyone because most folks simply skip over an ancient thread. ^_^

http://www.uncensorednewsfeed.com/usenet-netiquette/

[8~{} Uncle Usenet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 12:19:10 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

The other aspect is that they almost always don't have new
relevant information that hasn't already been discussed in the
thread years ago. If there were no answer to the question in
the thread and they just found one, then making a post would
serve some purpose. Anyone googling, finding the thread would
see it. But almost always it's some basic stuff that was
already well covered and they aren't adding anything new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 21:19:07 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

I too enjoy making fun of people who answer 10-year old posts, but Sam
gave you a good reason why one might do so, and I think it's absurd to
tell him or Sid that he should start a new thread instead of what he's
been doing. Who are we to tell him what to do and what difference does
it make to us? We can tell that Sid's posts are new, that the ones he
replies to are either old or don't have dates**, and that the posters he
replied to are not posting here now.

**We who don't use google (thank heaven) still know the thread names are
not currently in our personal news archive or prior posts would be shown
in the same thread.

. Anyone here would be glad to get into a conversation with you on just about anything. If you know anything about how Usenet works, you would know that when you pull up old threads, it does cause a problem with private news servers.

What problem does it cause? I think you were planning to say but got
off track.

AFAIK, if they don't have the old thread in their system, the quoted
text is just quoted text and doesn't look like a post to them. Or
maybe none of the posts are in any heirarchical arrangement until the
news clients on our pc's arrange them that way. Or for people who
read via groups.google, their software arranges them that way.

Not every news service has the unlimited resources of Google.

So?

If you see an old topic from the last century, start a new thread in this century. When you pull up the old threads, it screams "NOOB"

None of our business? Why not?

and there are people who will think you're a poopy head. It does annoy people when you pull up those old threads which aren't archived on other servers. I'm trying to help you, ignore me if you wish but you keep it up and many people will consider you to be a troll and may filter you out. Then it could be hard for you to get into a discussion with anyone because most folks simply skip over an ancient thread. ^_^

http://www.uncensorednewsfeed.com/usenet-netiquette/

What specifically does this url say about replying to old posts? Or is
it offered for some other reason?

[8~{} Uncle Usenet Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Many people will simply skip over old threads and the fellow will think everybody's being mean or stuck up.

**We who don't use google (thank heaven) still know the thread names are
not currently in our personal news archive or prior posts would be shown
in the same thread.

I'm stuck with my cute little Chromebook while I'm sitting in this hospital bed and all I can use to access Usenet is Google Groups.

. Anyone here would be glad to get into a conversation with you on just about anything. If you know anything about how Usenet works, you would know that when you pull up old threads, it does cause a problem with private news servers.

What problem does it cause? I think you were planning to say but got
off track.

AFAIK, if they don't have the old thread in their system, the quoted
text is just quoted text and doesn't look like a post to them. Or
maybe none of the posts are in any heirarchical arrangement until the
news clients on our pc's arrange them that way. Or for people who
read via groups.google, their software arranges them that way.

Don't forget the fellas who are using dialup, they don't want to waste time scrolling through a long thread and are going to skip over it.

Not every news service has the unlimited resources of Google.

So?

If you don't get it I won't be nasty to you.

If you see an old topic from the last century, start a new thread in this century. When you pull up the old threads, it screams "NOOB"

None of our business? Why not?

Noob: noobie, newbie or new inexperienced user. I was actually shouting noob so I should have written it as "Noob!"

and there are people who will think you're a poopy head. It does annoy people when you pull up those old threads which aren't archived on other servers. I'm trying to help you, ignore me if you wish but you keep it up and many people will consider you to be a troll and may filter you out. Then it could be hard for you to get into a discussion with anyone because most folks simply skip over an ancient thread. ^_^

http://www.uncensorednewsfeed.com/usenet-netiquette/

What specifically does this url say about replying to old posts? Or is
it offered for some other reason?

Tenth paragraph down. I learned to read when I was five, after I got eyeglasses at age six, I could read what was on a blackboard. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bitchy Monster