Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Preble

Default I need to drill through a thick, cedar beam

I'm installing an additional ceiling fan in my vaulted living room. A
cedar beam runs across it, with one fan on the end. This fan was there
when I bought the house, and a hole was drilled through it to run the
wires. I wish to put another hole in this beam for another fan.

The problem is that I don't think my drill is up for this. It's some
junker I got at Big Lots. It had trouble enough drilling through the
joists when I installed a fan elsewhere. Given the beam is about a foot
thick, I don't have any bits that could do the job either.

I'm half expecting there are extender bits for this kind of thing. Say,
I predrill halfway through or so, and then extend up to continue
drilling. Nonetheless, I don't think my current drill can handle it.
How powerful of a drill would I need? I could make a decision on
renting or whatnot from that. If it's $39.99 or less at Harbor Freight
then I may buy it there*.

I'm assuming putting int a small hole for the additional wiring isn't
going to ruin the structure of the beam. I'd rather go through the beam
than run around it. I suppose I could do something with 1x4s wrapping
around the beam in a pattern, and running the wires as needed through
that. I think that's as much work and will probably look like crap anyways.

*I fear a derail, but I've determined power tools less than or equal to
$39.99 work perfectly fine, but any more than that will either never
work, or crap out after seconds of use.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Adam Preble" wrote in message

I'm half expecting there are extender bits for this kind of thing. Say, I
predrill halfway through or so, and then extend up to continue drilling.
Nonetheless, I don't think my current drill can handle it. How powerful of
a drill would I need? I could make a decision on renting or whatnot from
that. If it's $39.99 or less at Harbor Freight then I may buy it there*.

There are extenders, and there are very long bits. Rent or borrow a quality
drill (you'll have to buy the bit) and it will take two minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Adam Preble" wrote in message

I'm half expecting there are extender bits for this kind of thing. Say, I
predrill halfway through or so, and then extend up to continue drilling.
Nonetheless, I don't think my current drill can handle it. How powerful of
a drill would I need? I could make a decision on renting or whatnot from
that. If it's $39.99 or less at Harbor Freight then I may buy it there*.

what kind of bit do you have? using an auger type bit takes a lot of torque. a spade or paddle bit might be the way to go. takes longer, but i bet your drill could do it. you'll want to pull the bit out frequently to clear the wood chips, but with patience, i bet it can be done.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnH

joists when I installed a fan elsewhere. Given the beam is about a foot
thick, I don't have any bits that could do the job either.

Use a paddle bit with an extension.
Take your time, don't overload the drill, frequently ease up on it and
let the internal fan cool the motor. Done with care, even a cheap
drill will have no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

It's unclear what the diameter of the hole will be. If only to pass
some wires, 3/8" might be fine or 1/2" for Romex. Use a twist drill,
and take several passes - .25" first, then larger. This will let you
use your current drill but you'll have to buy some long bits.
Alternately, rent a powerful drill, one large bit and an extension.

Adam Preble wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

There are extenders, and there are very long bits. Rent or borrow a
quality
drill (you'll have to buy the bit) and it will take two minutes.

Our local rental place INCLUDES the bits

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Adam Preble wrote:
I'm installing an additional ceiling fan in my vaulted living room. A
cedar beam runs across it, with one fan on the end. This fan was there
when I bought the house, and a hole was drilled through it to run the
wires. I wish to put another hole in this beam for another fan.

Use a "Speed Bore" bit. They are spade shaped and do have extenders.
The Speed Bore comes in sizes form (I think) 1/4" up to huge ones, are
not all that expensive. The draw back is that the extenders will only
go into a 5/8" or larger hole. You also have to keep pulling the bit
out to clean out the chips, they don't self feed the chips.

The other option is electricians extended length twist drills. Not
sure how long they come but they get some impressive lengths.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Drill hole in center of joist not near top or bottom which can weaken
it.

Spade bits are cheap and work great even with a cheap drill, just be
patient and drill slow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Harry K :

Adam Preble wrote:
I'm installing an additional ceiling fan in my vaulted living room. A
cedar beam runs across it, with one fan on the end. This fan was there
when I bought the house, and a hole was drilled through it to run the
wires. I wish to put another hole in this beam for another fan.

Use a "Speed Bore" bit. They are spade shaped and do have extenders.
The Speed Bore comes in sizes form (I think) 1/4" up to huge ones, are
not all that expensive. The draw back is that the extenders will only
go into a 5/8" or larger hole. You also have to keep pulling the bit
out to clean out the chips, they don't self feed the chips.

The other option is electricians extended length twist drills. Not
sure how long they come but they get some impressive lengths.

18" auger bits are quite easy to get. If you're using an auger
or spade, you can't start small and redrill with larger bits.
Or at least not easily.

You can get extended length drill bits from HD up to about 6', but
they're pretty pricey.

Note that no matter what drill you use, by the time you get through
about 6" of beam, the friction of the hole on the drill bit
is pretty high. So if you're doubtful of an auger doing the
hole with a particular drill, a twist or spade bit would probably
not be that much better.

Augers generally clear chips so much better that they'll probably
turn out easier in the long run for a hole like this.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Kendrick

Milwaukee Hole-Hawg or Super-Hawg drill with 17" auger bit. Probably
1/2" would be enough.