DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   NEC and wall switch (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/165864-nec-wall-switch.html)

Jack June 16th 06 03:58 PM

NEC and wall switch

Could you install a ceiling mounted light/fan fixture without a wall switch
in the room per NEC code? Light/fan has its own switch.

John Grabowski June 16th 06 10:40 PM

NEC and wall switch

"Jack" n wrote in message
. ..
Could you install a ceiling mounted light/fan fixture without a wall

switch
in the room per NEC code? Light/fan has its own switch.

As another poster indicated, you can do so when you have a wall receptacle
or another light controlled by a wall switch. I do not recommend this type
of installation for a ceiling fan. Those pull chain switches don't last as
long as the fan and you will most likely wind up replacing them down the
road. I suggest running a three wire to the ceiling fan and have a wall
switch for the light and a wall switch for the fan. As an alternative you
can get a fan with a remote control unit. I don't know what kind of life
you can expect from the remote control though.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

Tom The Great June 17th 06 02:55 AM

NEC and wall switch

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:40:35 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"Jack" n wrote in message
Could you install a ceiling mounted light/fan fixture without a wall

switch
in the room per NEC code? Light/fan has its own switch.

As another poster indicated, you can do so when you have a wall receptacle
or another light controlled by a wall switch. I do not recommend this type
of installation for a ceiling fan. Those pull chain switches don't last as
long as the fan and you will most likely wind up replacing them down the
road. I suggest running a three wire to the ceiling fan and have a wall
switch for the light and a wall switch for the fan. As an alternative you
can get a fan with a remote control unit. I don't know what kind of life
you can expect from the remote control though.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

Great replies, just one follow up question, what room are you doing
this in. I've been taught some rooms cannot use a switched receptacle
to meet a lighted outlet requirement.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

SQLit June 17th 06 09:03 PM

NEC and wall switch

"Jack" n wrote in message
. ..
Could you install a ceiling mounted light/fan fixture without a wall

switch
in the room per NEC code? Light/fan has its own switch.

Mine are