DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Changing Thermostat - Aprilaire 8336 to Honeywell RTH7400D (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/165764-changing-thermostat-aprilaire-8336-honeywell-rth7400d.html)

trevor retsnef June 15th 06 02:00 PM

Changing Thermostat - Aprilaire 8336 to Honeywell RTH7400D

I am trying to change my Heat Pump (RUUD "Achiever 14" Model Num:
UBHK-21J14SFA) thermostat from the basic A8336 to an Energystar RTH7400D. I
have read on this news group that you seem to get what you pay for in a
thermostat and that honeywell was the way to go.

I chose the RTH7400D (5-1-1) becuase it has support for AUX heat, as my
current system does.

When taking the cover off the Aprilaire, i see that i have the following
things wired:

Block 1
C (wired)
L (not wired)
R (wired)

Block 2
Y2 (not wired)
Y1 (wired)
E (not wired)
G (wired)
W2 (wired)
O (not wired)
B (wired)

The new honeywell shows the following destinations:

Block 1
O/B
RC

Block 2
AUX

The manual for the honeywell specifies that if i have a W1, Y1 and W2, some
modification may be required.

I want to be sure that i do this properly as to not adversly effect the $6K
heat pump that i just put in about 2yrs ago.(ok, had put in... if i had put
it in myself, i would not have to ask....)

My contracter said they would not help me over the phone, but for a mere
$100, they would send someone out.

I know this group is full of HVAC Guru's! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks In Advance.

Robert