DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kilz Or Zinsser ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/165658-kilz-zinsser.html)

Robert11 June 14th 06 03:53 PM

Kilz Or Zinsser ?

Hello:

Wondering if anyone has any general opinions as to which
is a better product for primer types of paint: Kilz or the Zinsser products
?

Why ?

Thanks,
B.

Robert11 June 14th 06 05:20 PM

From OP: Kilz Or Zinsser ?

Hello:

Thanks for help.

Want to paint a upper portion of a shower stall that is not tiled.

Thought I would want/need a primer first, before the overcoat.

Not sure what to use for a primer, or for the overcoat for that matter.

Actuall there are two stalls in question.

One is presently painted with oil, and the other with latex, apparently.
Both are beginning to peel.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B.

------------------
"3rd eye" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:53:38 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Wondering if anyone has any general opinions as to which
is a better product for primer types of paint: Kilz or the Zinsser
products
?

Why ?

Thanks,
B.

What is the purpose of the primer?
What is your application?

Kilz is a stain blocker.
Zinsser makes one too but that is just one of many of their products.

[email protected] June 14th 06 07:16 PM

From OP: Kilz Or Zinsser ?

I have used both brands in latex and can find no real difference. If
you are doing this on a bathroom I'd go with oil based though.

Bob M. June 14th 06 10:19 PM

From OP: Kilz Or Zinsser ?

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

Thanks for help.

Want to paint a upper portion of a shower stall that is not tiled.

Thought I would want/need a primer first, before the overcoat.

Not sure what to use for a primer, or for the overcoat for that matter.

Actuall there are two stalls in question.

One is presently painted with oil, and the other with latex, apparently.
Both are beginning to peel.

How do you know it's oil-based? There's a simple test - dip your fingertip
in some rubbing alcohol, then rub it on the paint. If the paint laughs at
you, it's oil-based. If it rubs off, it's latex.

If it is latex-based, did the previous painter put it on top of oil paint
without first using a primer? Latex won't stick well to oil based paint
without the help of a primer.

IMO, latex paint doesn't belong in a bathroom.

Sounds like you could use a vent fan, or a bigger vent fan if you already
have one.