DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Renewal by Andersen (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/165605-renewal-andersen.html)

[email protected] June 14th 06 03:12 AM

Renewal by Andersen

Need help deciding between choices for replacement windows for my 25
year old aluminum windows. There are five large (5'x6') and two
picture (3'x6') windows and two sliding patio doors, for which Renewal
by Andersen has quoted $18K (installed, all inclusive). Other quotes
for vinyl windows range from $6K to $9K and $13K for the best windows
at Lowes. Is the Andersen price justified?

Thanks in advance.

[email protected] June 14th 06 03:45 AM

Renewal by Andersen

wrote:
Need help deciding between choices for replacement windows for my 25
year old aluminum windows. There are five large (5'x6') and two
picture (3'x6') windows and two sliding patio doors, for which Renewal
by Andersen has quoted $18K (installed, all inclusive). Other quotes
for vinyl windows range from $6K to $9K and $13K for the best windows
at Lowes. Is the Andersen price justified?

Thanks in advance.

how long you planning on living in your home? is it a first class
property or a average joe kinda home. do you want top quality or top
value?

frankly most brand name stuff is overpriced hype

if home resale is in your future what kinda custmer do you expect?

Martik June 14th 06 07:01 AM

Renewal by Andersen

wrote in message
oups.com...
Need help deciding between choices for replacement windows for my 25
year old aluminum windows. There are five large (5'x6') and two
picture (3'x6') windows and two sliding patio doors, for which Renewal
by Andersen has quoted $18K (installed, all inclusive). Other quotes
for vinyl windows range from $6K to $9K and $13K for the best windows
at Lowes. Is the Andersen price justified?

Thanks in advance.

I would say not!

I just finished replacing my 13 windows with Jeld-wen low-e argon for
approx $2500. They have a lifetime warranty.
http://jeld-wen.com/

Total cost for your windows would be approx $2900 (5x300, 2x200, 2x500), at
Home Depot which I believe installs for a fair price.

It is not difficult to install windows yourself plus a little help with
lifting into place. Do you have siding, stucco?

Lena June 14th 06 12:19 PM

Renewal by Andersen

wrote:
Renewal by Andersen has quoted $18K (installed, all inclusive).
Is the Andersen price justified?

I have observed that some companies give outrageous quotes for work,
and expect that most folks will decline, but they make a killing on the
few who assume that the quote is reasonable because they do not have
the time to get several quotes, or because a neighbor or friend was
suckered in and they figure the price was reasonable.

Then there are some ethical companies who give an honest, reasonable
quote.

The name Anderson doesn't justify paying three times what someone else
would charge. Labor is a big part of the cost, and how much harder is
it to put in an Anderson window than an Alside window?

If you drive a BMW, drink $7 coffee at Starbucks and like impressing
your friends and neighbors, go with the Andersons and leave the labels
on the windows. If you drive a Ford or Chevy, go for the coffee at
McD's or 7-11, and are trying to build a retirement nest egg, go for
the no-name, best price.

Lena

m Ransley June 14th 06 01:11 PM

Renewal by Andersen

You need to learn about their ratings and how they compare Consumer
Reports has an old test done of apx 23 windows, www.energystar.gov
will help. Just an example there are 2 or three types of LowE coatings
avalaible, depending on your area will determine what you need, Southern
areas usualy want to block as much solar increase as they can. You need
to know all the ratings to compare them. Anderson is a good product, but
there are others.

[email protected] June 14th 06 03:04 PM

Renewal by Andersen

Need help deciding between choices for replacement windows for my 25
year old aluminum windows. There are five large (5'x6') and two
picture (3'x6') windows and two sliding patio doors, for which Renewal
by Andersen has quoted $18K (installed, all inclusive). Other quotes
for vinyl windows range from $6K to $9K and $13K for the best windows
at Lowes. Is the Andersen price justified?

Thanks in advance.

how long you planning on living in your home? is it a first class
property or a average joe kinda home. do you want top quality or top
value?

frankly most brand name stuff is overpriced hype

if home resale is in your future what kinda custmer do you expect?

I am planning to keep the home for a long time, even if I don't live in
it. I do want good quality that will last at a reasonable value, not
the cheapest stuff out there.

Thanks.

Art June 14th 06 05:14 PM

Renewal by Andersen

Also check www.pella.com

I have andersen vinyl clad windows and pella aluminum clad windows. On the
south side of the house the vinyl has gotten slightly yellowed and stiff. I
would go all Pella aluminum clad next time. Forget wood.

oups.com...