Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pump won't stop running

A couple of weeks ago, my stepson attached two hoses to the faucets
connected to the water pump. When he was done, he turned off the hose
that had water coming out freely but did not turn off the hose that had
a sprayer on it so no water came out. Apparently the pump ran all
night and developed leaks at the insertion points of the two pipes
connected to the well.

I replaced both pipes and when I turn the power on to the pump I get
excellent pressure to the faucets and the water pressure gauge between
the pump and the tank goes from 0 to about 40.

The problem is that no water is getting any of the sprinkler heads and
the pump will not stop running. After replacing the pipes and letting
the pipe cement set, I tested the sprinklers and they ran fine
(although the pump still would not shut off). I only tested for a
minute or so because we are under a water restriction and it was in the
middle of the day. When I was able to water, I turned on the pump and
sprinklers but nothing happened. The pump is continuously running but
the sprinklers are not working.

Do I need a new pump? Is there a way to fix it? I am pretty much
learning everything as I go along and this was my first PVC pipe repair
job. Any thoughts?.

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Nelson,

Get a book on wells and read up so you can trouble shoot this. The local
library should have these books. At a guess your pressure switch is broken.
This is a switch which turns on the pimp when the pressure is low and turns
off the pump when the pressure is high. I doubt that your step-son's actions
caused your problem.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jun 2006 09:30:27 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

You dont mention the type of pump. If it's a submercible, I am not
sure what to say, except the pressure switch may be stuck. If its a
jet pump (in the basement, pit, or shed), I may be able to help.
Since you said two pipes to the well, I am assuming a jet pump.
I had problem once with a jet pump. Next to the pump is a one way
valve. A brass cylinder in the pipe. It's probably stuck open. so
the water is going right back into the well, and thus you can not
maintain pressure. If shutting off the pump causes the gauge to drop
to zero rather quickly, that is why. Smack that valve with a heavy
wooden mallet or chunk of wood. (not a metal hammer). That may
easily make the pump turn off. If so, replace that valve as soon as
you can. If that dont do it, the pressure switch may be stuck. They
have contacts inside that can stick together. They can be pried apart
but you are dealing with electricity, so be careful ad use an
insulated tool. Better yet, replace it.
Let me know if this helps.

Mark

Either way, DO NOT allow the pump to keep running or you will burn it
out. Shut it off, and turn it on when needed until fixed.