DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   best way to paint over Drylock basement. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/165334-best-way-paint-over-drylock-basement.html)

[email protected] June 11th 06 10:40 PM

best way to paint over Drylock basement.

I want to paint my basement walls, which currently have several coats
of old pealing Drylock.

I would like any recommendations on the proper way to prep the walls
and paint. Do I need to scrape off the existing paint? Prep with
muriatic acid or bleach? What kind of paint do you recommend?

I do not plan to finish the basement. I just want it to look clean,
bright and dry.

A few issues:
1. At one time, the basement had water problems, and there is
efflorescence on the walls. But the previous owner installed an
interior french drain system and sump about 3 years ago, and I just
finished extending all the downspouts and sloping the exterior grade
around the outside foundation. And we run a dehumidifier in the summer.
So the basement is now dry and no mold.

2. There are also some horizontal cracks in the foundation. I consulted
a structural engineer when we first bought the house,. He said they are
due to frost heave and are common in are area. Because they are not too
big I did not need to worry, unless they grow. I've been monitoring
and they are not growing.

I'm hoping I can just fill the cracks with caulking or hydro cement
before painting.

[email protected] June 11th 06 11:11 PM

best way to paint over Drylock basement.

Fill cracks clean efforscence and bleach if theres any mold/ A pressure
washer is what I used.

Then any good exterior paint which will be a little more durable

Or recoat with drylock, although I prefer semi gloss paint

Jay Stootzmann June 12th 06 02:06 PM

best way to paint over Drylock basement.

In my own basement I fixed all the cracks and then repainted with drylock.

I wouldn't put carpet on the floor because the temp and thus dew point will
be much lower at the floor and would be a great stimulus for mold.

http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/homeowner.htm

oups.com...