DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Remove Stucco (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/165244-remove-stucco.html)

C. Bailey June 10th 06 05:18 PM

Remove Stucco

I need to remove all stucco from the exterior of my house to put on wood
siding. I would like to cut the stucco just below the soffit line, so that
I do not have to redo all of the soffits. What is the best tool for cutting
along the soffits? I have a lot of cutting to do......

Do you have any tricks for removing the stucco? I was thinking of a flat
shovel (like a roofing shovel).

Chris

RicodJour June 10th 06 05:44 PM

Remove Stucco

C. Bailey wrote:
I need to remove all stucco from the exterior of my house to put on wood
siding. I would like to cut the stucco just below the soffit line, so that
I do not have to redo all of the soffits. What is the best tool for cutting
along the soffits? I have a lot of cutting to do......

Assuming you are referring to the traditional cement-based stucco on
metal lath, a diamond blade in a circular saw or angle grinder is the
easiest. You'll have to take several passes. A diamond blade in a gas
cutoff saw would be faster but is a lot heavier and harder to control.
If you need to get a straight edge you can nail a wood straightedge on
the lower section of stucco and run the circular saw fence along that.

You may want to investigate how far above the soffit the stucco
extends. It may not be worth cutting. The cleanest and simplest way
to terminate the wood siding is to have it extend up behind the lower
edge of the soffit and use wood molding to cover any remaining gap.

Do you have any tricks for removing the stucco? I was thinking of a flat
shovel (like a roofing shovel).

Pounding on the stucco with a lump hammer will fracture the stucco and
make it a lot easier to pry off the sections. Take all of the pictures
and breakables off of the exterior walls before you start pounding
away. A roofing shovel or pry bar work well for lifting the sections
away from the wood. Try and pry along the framing as some sheathing is
pretty easy to punch through when prying.

m Ransley June 10th 06 08:10 PM

Remove Stucco

Why remove it, if it is real stucco it is basicly maintenance free,
removing that concrete covering will be a major expense and mess. Or is
it the plastic stuff that does not breath and grows mold.

Sacramento Dave June 11th 06 04:49 AM

Remove Stucco

"C. Bailey" wrote in message
I need to remove all stucco from the exterior of my house to put on wood
siding. I would like to cut the stucco just below the soffit line, so that
I do not have to redo all of the soffits. What is the best tool for
cutting along the soffits? I have a lot of cutting to do......

Do you have any tricks for removing the stucco? I was thinking of a flat
shovel (like a roofing shovel).

Chris

4 1/2" peanut grinder with a diamond blade. You could use a circular saw
with a diamond blade. Those abrasive blades work but MUCH more work and
dust. What I did was hold the grinder in one hand a shop vac hose to catch
the dust. You will still need to pry it off the walls. I cut squares about
2' by 2'. You will get the hang of it. Face shield, dust mask and you will
whish you never started, it aint fun.

C. Bailey June 11th 06 05:00 AM

Remove Stucco

Thank you,

It is traditional stucco.

The stucco extends about an inch or two above the soffit line. The wire
extends 2 or 3" above. I was thinking of terminating the wood with a shadow
board below the soffit.

Chris

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...