Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Condensation inside double-paned windows - replace glass or whole window?

We're new homeowners. We have a house with ten double hung windows with
double panes. They're by Thermal-Guard. They look old, but I don't
really know their age. Each window has at least one sash with bad
condensation between the panes. Many have condensation in both. Some
have discolored film between the panes (?). Some have broken springs.

The question is: Should we replace the complete windows? Or just the
bad glass "sealed units" and fix the springs separately (possible?)?

We had a guy from a local glass shop take a look. He's the one that
suggested just replacing the glass. But he was high and more than a
little creepy, so we don't want him back. (There are other shops, I'm
sure.)

But we do have a recommendation for a guy that can replace the complete
windows. He's highly recommended by several trustworthy friends (picky
skeptical people - engineers). His prices are said to be very
reasonable.

So, what do you think? I realize it's a complicated question, but does
anyone have advice or an opinion? Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're new homeowners. We have a house with ten double hung windows with
double panes. They're by Thermal-Guard. They look old, but I don't
really know their age. Each window has at least one sash with bad
condensation between the panes. Many have condensation in both. Some
have discolored film between the panes (?). Some have broken springs.

The question is: Should we replace the complete windows? Or just the
bad glass "sealed units" and fix the springs separately (possible?)?

Not seeing the original windows, it is hard to say. Old means nothing.
There are houses that have 300 year old windows and they still function as
intended (but not as efficient as new). If yours are otherwise well made,
replacing the glass is all that is needed. If you have rot, different
story. Do they go up and down well? Seal well?. If yes, I'd replace just
the glass.

Replacing the entire window opens a large list of other possibilities, such
as damaged trim inside and out, repainting a lot of stuff, and on and on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My windows vinyl are nice but have had some seal failures

Its no biggie replacing the sealed glass units!

Locally pittsburgh window and door do it on a carry in basis.no doubt
someone in your area offeres the same sercice

on our windows double hung the sections come out easy.

so i remooove them, cover window with plastic and take to store at 8am.
pick up at 3pm.

they disassemble the frame, remove measure cut and make new sealed unit
reassemble frame. i stick unit back in easy job.

if your neighborhood is rough perhaps someone stays home to discourage
pilfering.

cost for 3 double hung units about a 100 bucks

if you replace one complete window it will likely look different than
the rest in your home, which can be a resale issue.

changing the glass avoids that altogether

look at replacing sealed glass units as a maintence issue

Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're new homeowners. We have a house with ten double hung windows with
double panes. They're by Thermal-Guard. They look old, but I don't
really know their age. Each window has at least one sash with bad
condensation between the panes. Many have condensation in both. Some
have discolored film between the panes (?). Some have broken springs.

The question is: Should we replace the complete windows? Or just the
bad glass "sealed units" and fix the springs separately (possible?)?

Start with the cheaper option, and if it isn't adequate, move on to the more
expensive one. We had a few double pane failures in our house when we moved
it. We took a few of the windows to the local glass shop for pane
replacement, which was about $40 per, and they have been fine since then.

HTH

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnR66

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If the windows look and function well, just replace the glass unit. Don't
forget to check the weather seals for wear.
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the help, everybody. I'll check the window frames etc.
carefully, and look into just replacing the glass.