Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan

Default Removing dried latex paint from stained trim

Painting a window yesterday, I accidentally got a bit of white latex
primer on some surrounding trim, light brown stained pine (just stain,
no lacquer, etc). (basically, the edge of the brush grazed the trim in
one spot, so it's not like a drip that can be easily chipped off. Is
there any way to remove this paint, short of sandpaper or a chisel?
Tried one of those "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers", NOGO. I'm wondering if
there's any solvent that might work?

TIA

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair
Seth Goodman

In article , on Thu, 08
Jun 2006 11:28:04 -0700, Dan wrote:

Painting a window yesterday, I accidentally got a bit of white latex
primer on some surrounding trim, light brown stained pine (just stain,
no lacquer, etc). (basically, the edge of the brush grazed the trim in
one spot, so it's not like a drip that can be easily chipped off. Is
there any way to remove this paint, short of sandpaper or a chisel?
Tried one of those "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers", NOGO. I'm wondering if
there's any solvent that might work?

"Goof-Off" will usually remove latex, even when dry. Any hardware store
will sell it. However, it's pretty volatile. It might also take off
some of the stain from the trim, or leave a stain of its own. I'd
suggest trying it on an inconspicuous place to make sure the cure isn't
worse than the disease.

--
Seth Goodman

Posted to alt.home.repair
Warren Weber

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
Painting a window yesterday, I accidentally got a bit of white latex
primer on some surrounding trim, light brown stained pine (just stain, no
lacquer, etc). (basically, the edge of the brush grazed the trim in one
spot, so it's not like a drip that can be easily chipped off. Is there
any way to remove this paint, short of sandpaper or a chisel? Tried one of
those "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers", NOGO. I'm wondering if there's any
solvent that might work?

TIA

Dan

I have used alcohol (denatured shellac thinner) Works great. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan

Warren Weber wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
Painting a window yesterday, I accidentally got a bit of white latex
primer on some surrounding trim, light brown stained pine (just stain, no
lacquer, etc). (basically, the edge of the brush grazed the trim in one
spot, so it's not like a drip that can be easily chipped off. Is there
any way to remove this paint, short of sandpaper or a chisel? Tried one of
those "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers", NOGO. I'm wondering if there's any
solvent that might work?

TIA

Dan

I have used alcohol (denatured shellac thinner) Works great. WW

Warren-Worth a shot since I have some, thanks.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Dan wrote:

Painting a window yesterday, I accidentally got a bit of white latex
primer on some surrounding trim, light brown stained pine (just stain,
no lacquer, etc). (basically, the edge of the brush grazed the trim in
one spot, so it's not like a drip that can be easily chipped off. Is
there any way to remove this paint, short of sandpaper or a chisel?
Tried one of those "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers", NOGO. I'm wondering if
there's any solvent that might work?

TIA

Dan

We have had good luck using Formula 409 but not on unfinished wood. Hot
soapy water on a rag might do it. Doubt you can get it all without some
sinking into the unfinished wood. If you have some of the stain, you
can touch it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Norminn wrote:

Dan wrote:

Painting a window yesterday, I accidentally got a bit of white latex
primer on some surrounding trim, light brown stained pine (just stain,
no lacquer, etc). (basically, the edge of the brush grazed the trim
in one spot, so it's not like a drip that can be easily chipped off.
Is there any way to remove this paint, short of sandpaper or a chisel?
Tried one of those "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers", NOGO. I'm wondering if
there's any solvent that might work?

TIA

Dan

We have had good luck using Formula 409 but not on unfinished wood. Hot
soapy water on a rag might do it. Doubt you can get it all without some
sinking into the unfinished wood. If you have some of the stain, you
can touch it up.

Try rubbing it off with plastic scrubber first.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jtees4

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:28:04 -0700, Dan wrote:

Painting a window yesterday, I accidentally got a bit of white latex
primer on some surrounding trim, light brown stained pine (just stain,
no lacquer, etc). (basically, the edge of the brush grazed the trim in
one spot, so it's not like a drip that can be easily chipped off. Is
there any way to remove this paint, short of sandpaper or a chisel?
Tried one of those "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers", NOGO. I'm wondering if
there's any solvent that might work?

TIA

Dan

Very hot water...let the paint soak a little...it may then come off
with your fingernail.