Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

Default replacing bathroom fan

Hi,

I'm replacing a bathroom fan but having trouble. I can get the
wing-nut off that holds the reflector/bulb plate. But i can only see a
nail holding the rest of the unit to a stud. I do not have access to
the fan from above, only below. should i only remove the fan unit, and
leave the original metal frame?

thanks for any help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Terry wrote:
Hi,

I'm replacing a bathroom fan but having trouble. I can get the
wing-nut off that holds the reflector/bulb plate. But i can only see a
nail holding the rest of the unit to a stud. I do not have access to
the fan from above, only below. should i only remove the fan unit, and
leave the original metal frame?

If you can figure out how to do that, then do it. You may get lucky and
find out that just oiling the fan motor bearings and cleaning out any
dust that's packed in gets it working again, or that it's a design
that's still available for sale and you can buy a whole new one and just
swap in the fan assembly.

If not, you know what's next.

Good luck,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Try grinding the nail head off with a dremel (or equivelent). Sometimes the
nail can be pulled if you have just the right tool. Many fans are secured
with additional nails and screws not accessible from inside, you may or may
not get it out easily this way.

Worse case, you need to break out a little cieling and patch later.

ups.com...