DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is the procedure for thinning exterior paint for painting a house? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/164687-what-procedure-thinning-exterior-paint-painting-house.html)

[email protected] June 5th 06 02:11 AM

What is the procedure for thinning exterior paint for painting a house?

We have hired a painter and he plans to spray the paint on as it's
cheeper for the both of us. He doesn't plan to thin the paint. He's
asking us to purchase twice as much paint than if we had it brushed on.
Is this normal for spraying on paint?

[email protected] June 5th 06 02:26 AM

wrote:
We have hired a painter and he plans to spray the paint on as it's
cheeper for the both of us. He doesn't plan to thin the paint. He's
asking us to purchase twice as much paint than if we had it brushed on.
Is this normal for spraying on paint?

Most paint manufacturers have tech reps that can speak to questions
like this.
TB

Joey June 5th 06 02:40 AM

wrote:
We have hired a painter and he plans to spray the paint on as it's
cheeper for the both of us. He doesn't plan to thin the paint. He's
asking us to purchase twice as much paint than if we had it brushed on.
Is this normal for spraying on paint?

From first hand experience, Yes, it does take about twice as much as it
goes on thicker which is good. But....I've never heard of watering it
down, I wouldn't do that.

[email protected] June 5th 06 03:00 AM

Joey wrote:
wrote:
We have hired a painter and he plans to spray the paint on as it's
cheeper for the both of us. He doesn't plan to thin the paint. He's
asking us to purchase twice as much paint than if we had it brushed on.
Is this normal for spraying on paint?

From first hand experience, Yes, it does take about twice as much as it
goes on thicker which is good. But....I've never heard of watering it
down, I wouldn't do that.

spraying on the outside is fast but can lead to major trouble later.

brushing washes the new paint into the old helping adhesion a lot.

paint sprayed doesnt adhere as well you will be fighting peeling paint
forever or till you move

be concerned about overspray too. all that extra paint has to go
somewhere....

trees bushes grass nearby vehicles concrete homes espically if its
breezy when sprayed. supervise this painter very carefully

marson June 5th 06 03:05 AM

wrote:
We have hired a painter and he plans to spray the paint on as it's
cheeper for the both of us. He doesn't plan to thin the paint. He's
asking us to purchase twice as much paint than if we had it brushed on.
Is this normal for spraying on paint?

request that he backbrush the paint after it is sprayed. that solves
the problems of poor adhesion from spraying.

[email protected] June 5th 06 03:06 AM

wrote:
Joey wrote:
wrote:
We have hired a painter and he plans to spray the paint on as it's
cheeper for the both of us. He doesn't plan to thin the paint. He's
asking us to purchase twice as much paint than if we had it brushed on.
Is this normal for spraying on paint?

From first hand experience, Yes, it does take about twice as much as it
goes on thicker which is good. But....I've never heard of watering it
down, I wouldn't do that.

spraying on the outside is fast but can lead to major trouble later.

brushing washes the new paint into the old helping adhesion a lot.

I meant to add with old sprayers thinning was essential, not so with
the newer low pressure sprayers