DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   timing key (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/164149-timing-key.html)

[email protected] June 3rd 06 03:35 AM

timing key

Hi all,

I've been reading about how replacing a timing key in a lawnmower. Is
there any place on the internet that tells how to do with with
picturess and all?

Thanks, Peggy (who ran over a stump... and now her lawn is at least one
foot tall!)

[email protected] June 3rd 06 04:21 AM

timing key

kohlerengines.com has free manual downloads, didnt say what
motor you have,but they are similar.or maybe perr.com has a tech tip
section.lucas

mm June 3rd 06 04:54 AM

timing key

On 2 Jun 2006 19:35:34 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi all,

I've been reading about how replacing a timing key in a lawnmower. Is
there any place on the internet that tells how to do with with
picturess and all?

Thanks, Peggy (who ran over a stump... and now her lawn is at least one
foot tall!)

Most people, instead of making their mower higher than the stump,
would leave the height setting the same and go around the hump.

As to the timing key, once you have every thing off that covers the
flywheel, and you have the flywheel off, the key is easy to replace.
It fits in a notch where half of the notch is in the tapered part of
the crank shaft, and the ohter half is in the flywheel.

I'm guessing your question was mostly about the first two lines of the
previous paragraph, and for that I refer you Jimi's question. I can't
really answer that part anyhow.

Everyone hits something once in a while.

Bob June 3rd 06 04:56 AM

timing key

wrote in message oups.com...
Hi all,

I've been reading about how replacing a timing key in a lawnmower. Is
there any place on the internet that tells how to do with with
picturess and all?

Thanks, Peggy (who ran over a stump... and now her lawn is at least one
foot tall!)

Check this.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm

Bob

digitalmaster June 3rd 06 12:42 PM

timing key

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I've been reading about how replacing a timing key in a lawnmower. Is
there any place on the internet that tells how to do with with
picturess and all?

Thanks, Peggy (who ran over a stump... and now her lawn is at least one
foot tall!)

a hint.
once you get the covers and the nut/clutch off the top of the flywheel,turn
the mower on its side so you can see the bolt holding the blade on.Then take
a large hammer(bigger the better) and hit the bottom of the crankshaft bolt
with the hammer.Hit it square on so as not to mess up the bolt.Most times
the flywheel will pop loose on the first try.This is like the toy with the
hanging steel balls where when one ball hits the others the one on the
opposite end moves.

RBM June 3rd 06 03:36 PM

timing key

How did you determine that the timing key is sheared? Have you determined
that the crank shaft is not bent? Two things to do before you start to
dismantle a mower. Remove the spark plug and drain the oil. The first is for
safety and the second is because you'll wish you did

Harry K June 3rd 06 04:16 PM

timing key

digitalmaster wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I've been reading about how replacing a timing key in a lawnmower. Is
there any place on the internet that tells how to do with with
picturess and all?

Thanks, Peggy (who ran over a stump... and now her lawn is at least one
foot tall!)

a hint.
once you get the covers and the nut/clutch off the top of the flywheel,turn
the mower on its side so you can see the bolt holding the blade on.Then take
a large hammer(bigger the better) and hit the bottom of the crankshaft bolt
with the hammer.Hit it square on so as not to mess up the bolt.Most times
the flywheel will pop loose on the first try.This is like the toy with the
hanging steel balls where when one ball hits the others the one on the
opposite end moves.

That is a trick I had never heard of. I can't see why it would work.
Wouldn't it tighten the flywheel, not loosen it??

Harry K

Bob June 5th 06 07:56 PM

timing key

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message ...
How did you determine that the timing key is sheared? Have you determined
that the crank shaft is not bent? Two things to do before you start to
dismantle a mower. Remove the spark plug and drain the oil. The first is for
safety and the second is because you'll wish you did

Why would draining the oil be needed to replace the flywheel key? You don't
even need to tip the machine.

Bob

RBM June 6th 06 12:34 PM

timing key

It wouldn't if that was all you were going to do, however under the
circumstances, she needs to check the crankshaft and blade keys as well

. ..