DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lawn Mower Pull Cord Stuck (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/163998-lawn-mower-pull-cord-stuck.html)

JustMe June 1st 06 04:28 PM

Lawn Mower Pull Cord Stuck

I borrowed my sisters lawn mower last year as our is broke. I went out
to start it this year and it seems the rip cord is stuck. It will not
move at all.

What do I need to do to get it so I can pull it again.

It is a Murray Select brand.

I really do not want to get 2 lawn mowers serviced.

Please help.

Thanks
Just Me

Don Phillipson June 1st 06 07:06 PM

Lawn Mower Pull Cord Stuck

"JustMe" wrote in message
ups.com...

I borrowed my sisters lawn mower last year as our is broke. I went out
to start it this year and it seems the rip cord is stuck. It will not
move at all.
What do I need to do to get it so I can pull it again.

The important question is whether the recoil start
assembly is in operating order or not -- and a non-
moving cord does not tell us that. The starter
module must be disassembled (preferably by
someone who has done it before) to see whether
any parts have broken or it just needs adjustment.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

John Lawrence June 1st 06 09:05 PM

Lawn Mower Pull Cord Stuck

Are you sure you depressed the blade brake handle before attempting to pull
the cord? It won't move without doing this. Also the cable that controls the
blade brake may be stuck. Apply and release it a number of times. This may
free it up. If so lubricate the moving parts.

It may not be the pull cord. May be the motor is just weather stuck.
Remove the spark plug wire (for safety). Depress the blade brake handle,
tip the mower up enough to attempt to move the blade. If you are successful
in moving the blade. Now replace the spark plug wire and try to turn it with
the pull cord. If this doesn't work you may indeed have a recoil starter
problem or a seized blade brake mechanism.
Good luck
ups.com...