DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   concrete slab (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/163946-concrete-slab.html)

[email protected] May 31st 06 11:52 PM

concrete slab

pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio.
code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you
guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is
there as a vapor barrier.

SQLit June 1st 06 12:46 AM

concrete slab

wrote in message
oups.com...
pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio.
code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you
guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is
there as a vapor barrier.

using your words

foundations are not poured on top of patio's.

With out a LOT more SPECIFIC information , can not see it from here

marson June 1st 06 02:04 AM

concrete slab

wrote:
pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio.
code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you
guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is
there as a vapor barrier.

what do you mean by slab foundation? foundation for what? what
condition is the conrete patio in? we need more information.

Joseph Meehan June 1st 06 02:23 AM

concrete slab

wrote:
pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio.
code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you
guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is
there as a vapor barrier.

Step one. Follow the code

Step two, if you don't like the code, see step #1.

I don't know about you, but I would want to know a lot more about what
is under that patio slab before I used it as any part of a foundation for
anything more than a dog house.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Edwin Pawlowski June 1st 06 03:43 AM

concrete slab

wrote in message
oups.com...
pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio.
code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you
guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is
there as a vapor barrier.

Does not matter what I think. If the inspector thinks different, you have a
problem. Run it by him first. If the slab is for a 10 x 8 shed and no
permits and inspection required, you may be OK. Otherwise, it will be very
expensive to tear out if the inspector does not buy it.

Oren June 1st 06 04:08 AM

concrete slab

On 31 May 2006 15:52:06 -0700, wrote:

pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio.
code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you
guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is
there as a vapor barrier.

Let me guess, your code is for a new foundation? Break up the patio an
build a "slab foundation", or contact the permit department for some
clarity.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

[email protected] June 1st 06 05:26 AM

concrete slab

slab is in good condition. it is a slab foundation for a room addition
24x12. bearing walls sit on new 16"x18" foundation. existing slab wont
really support anything.more worried about creating a sand and visqueen
barrier which would allow the slab to slide back and forth.

dkarnes June 1st 06 05:07 PM

concrete slab

wrote:
pouring a slab foundation on top of existing 4 inch concrete patio.
code calls for 2 inches of sand on top of 10 mil visqueen.what do you
guys think? should i just roughen it up and pour on top? Visqueen is
there as a vapor barrier.

is this for a patio or are you building a room addition. if it is a room
addition you better check with your building regs. i did that, i had
footers under the existing slab. i will bet if it is just 4 inches you
do not have footers.