Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does a refrigerant leak smell?

Last night we turned our 1 year old a/c system on for the first time
this year. It felt great and we slept great. Today we were out all day
at a memorial day picnic. We came home about 6pm and when we came in
the house there was a distinctly abnormal smell. It's almost like a
solvent or some cheap pvc product like an air mattress or pool. It's
not real strong but definitely noticeable. The house is cool and the
unit is blowing cool air. Any chance this is a refrigerant leak in the
coil? Or is it most likely something we drug in the house that we
aren't thinking would give of a smell?

TIA,
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Any chance this is a refrigerant leak in the coil?

R-22 does have a medicinal solvent type odor, but it is not very strong, so
if you have enough of a leak that you're smelling that, your unit ought not
to be performing at all. Certainly not after a few more days.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I don't think R-22 has any smell. Might, but never been aware of it
(working with R-22 for the last dozen years). The compressor oil in an
AC system has a slight odor. Yes, it could be a system leak. You'll
know in a day or two when the AC stops cooling.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
On 29 May 2006 17:22:26 -0700, wrote:

Last night we turned our 1 year old a/c system on for the first time
this year. It felt great and we slept great. Today we were out all

day
at a memorial day picnic. We came home about 6pm and when we came in
the house there was a distinctly abnormal smell. It's almost like a
solvent or some cheap pvc product like an air mattress or pool. It's
not real strong but definitely noticeable. The house is cool and the
unit is blowing cool air. Any chance this is a refrigerant leak in

the
coil? Or is it most likely something we drug in the house that we
aren't thinking would give of a smell?

TIA,
Mark

Dead mouse or rat in the house??????????

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Last night we turned our 1 year old a/c system on for the first time
this year. It felt great and we slept great. Today we were out all day
at a memorial day picnic. We came home about 6pm and when we came in
the house there was a distinctly abnormal smell. It's almost like a
solvent or some cheap pvc product like an air mattress or pool. It's
not real strong but definitely noticeable. The house is cool and the
unit is blowing cool air. Any chance this is a refrigerant leak in the
coil? Or is it most likely something we drug in the house that we
aren't thinking would give of a smell?

TIA,
Mark

Granny fart?

Dildo say dat.
--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to markescarbrough, Reina Richter wrote:
Why does my central smell like car exhaust?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-114950-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 8:14:07 AM UTC-4, Reina Richter wrote:
replying to markescarbrough, Reina Richter wrote:
Why does my central smell like car exhaust?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-114950-.htm

A. You left your car running in the driveway and you're smelling car exhaust. 10%
B. Your tech cleaned the air handler coils and left some cleaner on it, which will shortly blow off. 2%.
C. You have a plugged condensate drain causing wet coils and mold growth. 88% chance. When the drain pan fills it should trigger the safety switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 8:29:47 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 8:14:07 AM UTC-4, Reina Richter wrote:
replying to markescarbrough, Reina Richter wrote:
Why does my central smell like car exhaust?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-114950-.htm

A. You left your car running in the driveway and you're smelling car exhaust. 10%
B. Your tech cleaned the air handler coils and left some cleaner on it, which will shortly blow off. 2%.
C. You have a plugged condensate drain causing wet coils and mold growth. 88% chance. When the drain pan fills it should trigger the safety switch.

D - They are another clueless HomeMoanersHub poster. One line, no background
info that any logical person would supply so that they could get some
reasonable answers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/19 8:14 AM, Reina Richter wrote:
replying to markescarbrough, Reina Richter wrote:
Why does my central smell like car exhaust?

Sounds like maybe your central needs a new catalytic converter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reina Richter" m wrote
in message ...
replying to markescarbrough, Reina Richter wrote:
Why does my central smell like car exhaust?

Central of New York or Central of New Jersey?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2019 07:44 PM, catalpa wrote:
"Reina Richter" m wrote
in message ...
replying to markescarbrough, Reina Richter wrote:
Why does my central smell like car exhaust?

Central of New York or Central of New Jersey?

South Central LA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 05/01/2019 07:44 PM, catalpa wrote:
"Reina Richter" m
wrote
in message ...
replying to markescarbrough, Reina Richter wrote:
Why does my central smell like car exhaust?

Central of New York or Central of New Jersey?

South Central LA.

LOL, I've been railroaded.