Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.coatings.paint,misc.consumers.house
Jonathan

Default Painting house with Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore

I've had several bids from reputable painting firms to paint my house
exterior. Each provides the choice of either Sherwin-Williams or
Benjamin Moore paint. My house has wood shingles and the existing paint
is in fair to good condition, except for the color! The type of paint
will be flat Latex, with satin being used for wood trim and window
frames. A prime coat will also be used.

I haven't seen a comparison recently between these two paint companies.
Which would be better for my house? I notice that there are several
lines of paint for each company, for example Sherwin has Duration,
SuperPaint, A-100, WeatherPerfect, etc. How do these compare? I see
that Duration is a heavier paint which might require special application
techniques, but what about the others? Are all colors available for
all lines of paint?

Similarily, Ben Moore has Moorlife House Paint 105, Moorlife House Paint
N105, Moorcraft 183, etc.

If anyone with knowledge can help me choose, I'd sure really appreciate
it!

Jon.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.coatings.paint,misc.consumers.house
jeffc

"Jonathan" wrote in message
I've had several bids from reputable painting firms to paint my house
exterior. Each provides the choice of either Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin
Moore paint. My house has wood shingles and the existing paint is in fair
to good condition, except for the color! The type of paint will be flat
Latex, with satin being used for wood trim and window frames. A prime
coat will also be used.

I haven't seen a comparison recently between these two paint companies.
Which would be better for my house? I notice that there are several
lines of paint for each company, for example Sherwin has Duration,
SuperPaint, A-100, WeatherPerfect, etc. How do these compare?

There you go - at least you're asking the right question. It doesn't matter
much if you use SW or BM. What matters is which line they use. Check out
the respective web sites to find out more about the lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.coatings.paint,misc.consumers.house
crackerjack

Jonathan, It doesn't really matter what brand you use as long as the
painter knows what they are doing, and the substrate is prepared
properly. As for paint, you get what you pay for. All reputable brands
have a decent line, generally their top of the line paint will give you
top of the line results as long as prep is done properly. If you're
going to stay in the home you're painting, pay the premium for the top
line paint and you won't regret it. It won't be that much because to a
painting contractor, material costs are a small part of operating
expenses, labour probably being the highest, so the difference between a
job lasting 5 years and 15 years could be $500. Just do the math.
As for paint brands, don't buy paint from big box stores, they generally
carry "consumer" grade paints that are 80% marketing and 20% paint.
I don't personally use Benny Moore due to their treatment of pro
painters (neglegible product discount) but their MooreGlo and MooreGuard
line I've used in the past are of excellent quality. Again, you get what
you pay for, don't expect a $20/gal paint to last more than a couple of
seasons.

My 2cents

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.coatings.paint,misc.consumers.house
Jonathan

jeffc wrote:

"Jonathan" wrote in message
I've had several bids from reputable painting firms to paint my house
exterior. Each provides the choice of either Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin
Moore paint. My house has wood shingles and the existing paint is in fair
to good condition, except for the color! The type of paint will be flat
Latex, with satin being used for wood trim and window frames. A prime
coat will also be used.

I haven't seen a comparison recently between these two paint companies.
Which would be better for my house? I notice that there are several
lines of paint for each company, for example Sherwin has Duration,
SuperPaint, A-100, WeatherPerfect, etc. How do these compare?

There you go - at least you're asking the right question. It doesn't matter
much if you use SW or BM. What matters is which line they use. Check out
the respective web sites to find out more about the lines.

Yes, I've been up and down the websites, which is where I got the information
for Sherwin Duration, Superpaint, etc. mentioned earlier. However I haven't
found a decent comparision (except Duration is a thicker paint used for 1 coat
instead of 2) between the paints. Instead each section says that each paint is
a great paint, which is nice but not helpful. So how do the different lines
compare? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.coatings.paint,misc.consumers.house
chance

Jonathon. I am the owner of a large commercial painting company.
(www.painter911.com) I happened to run across your posting while doing
research for something else and I felt compelled to answer your
question.

First, there is not much of a difference between Sherwin-Williams and
Benjamin Moore. I spend over 100k a year with each of them. Both
companies have great products.

The Sherwin-Williams Duration paint is an excellent paint that I would
strongly recommend as long as you don't mind paying for it. I would
suggest still applying two coats even though it is not required.

***CAUTION***
Many painting house painters will not use the paint that they tell you
they are going to. Make sure to look for a reputable contractor at
www.PDCA.com. Also, insist that the painting contractor show you the
unopened can of paint that they will be using. Also, insist that they
leave any extra paint so that you may use it for touching up areas in
the future.

Also, insist that you see proof of workman's compensation insurance and
general liability insurance. If you do not and a worker is hurt at
your home, you WILL be held liable and you could lose your home.
***CAUTION***

I hope this post helped.

Brian C. Albey
Albey Commercial Painting
www.painter911.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.coatings.paint,misc.consumers.house

Default Painting house with Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin MooreThe crux of the bisquit is the apostrophe.

crackerjack writes:

As for paint brands, don't buy paint from big box stores, they
generally carry "consumer" grade paints that are 80% marketing and 20%
paint.

That might be an accurate statement and it might not. Like
it or not, Home Depot's Behr paint and Gliddon are
top-rated paints.

I don't like Behr because it does not
flow out the way that I want it to. It's still a great paint.

Most important is the preparation of the surface rather than
the great lines of paint.
--
Ken Buddha

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.coatings.paint,misc.consumers.house

"The Duke of Prunes" wrote in message
crackerjack writes:

As for paint brands, don't buy paint from big box stores, they generally
carry "consumer" grade paints that are 80% marketing and 20% paint.

That might be an accurate statement and it might not. Like
it or not, Home Depot's Behr paint and Gliddon are
top-rated paints.

I don't like Behr because it does not
flow out the way that I want it to. It's still a great paint.

Most important is the preparation of the surface rather than
the great lines of paint.

Actually that's nonsense. There is no such thing as "Behr" paint or
"Glidden" paint or "Sherwin Williams paint". There are only specific paints
from each manufacturer. Next time you're in Sherwin Williams, look at their
paint charts. Each paint is rated 1 star to 5 stars in different
categories, 1 being pretty much junk, and 5 being excellent. They give 1
star to their Style Perfect for categories such as hiding or lack of
splatter, and 5 stars to their Super Paint, which is pretty much on the
money. Buy Style Perfect and you'll think Sherwin Williams is crap. Buy
Super Paint and you'll realize that people who say you can't cover new
colors with only 1 coat don't really know what they're talking about,
they're just used to using cheap paint.

So don't even bother talking about paint by brand, it's a complete waste of
time. Most paint manufacturers make good paint and bad paint. Take the
time to figure it out and stop this "he said she said" stuff about Benjamin
Moore is great, Sherwin Williams sucks, etc.

Glidden is not a "top rated" paint by the way. They sell good paint (if you
count ICI Dulux) and they sell crap paint.