DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   convert sink drain to washing machine drain? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/163497-convert-sink-drain-washing-machine-drain.html)

shawn May 28th 06 05:42 AM

convert sink drain to washing machine drain?

I'm redoing my bathroom and considering an idea of a stacked laundry
closet in there. The place I'm considering is where one of the sinks
was. Is it possible to use the previous sink drain plumbing to drain a
washing machine into? or would it be too small? Its and 80's house on
slab with pvc i think the sink drains are all 1 1/2 inches.

I would think it would be ok, especially since the newer washers
typically use less water...

Thanks for any advice someone can provide.- shawn

Speedy Jim May 28th 06 02:31 PM

shawn wrote:
I'm redoing my bathroom and considering an idea of a stacked laundry
closet in there. The place I'm considering is where one of the sinks
was. Is it possible to use the previous sink drain plumbing to drain a
washing machine into? or would it be too small? Its and 80's house on
slab with pvc i think the sink drains are all 1 1/2 inches.

I would think it would be ok, especially since the newer washers
typically use less water...

Thanks for any advice someone can provide.- shawn

You're probably right about the 1 1/2" drain size.
Washer drains are 2", but you *might* get away with it.
Remove the existing 1 1/4" P-Trap and stub out a
1 1/2" PVC trap from the San TEE in the wall.
From the trap inlet side run a 1 1/2" PVC standpipe about 36"
off floor. If the washer hose is too big to fit, put
a 2" X 1 1/2" coupling on.

If you have room for a utility tub, drain the washer into that.

Jim

Ranger May 28th 06 10:40 PM

shawn wrote:
I'm redoing my bathroom and considering an idea of a stacked laundry
closet in there. The place I'm considering is where one of the sinks
was. Is it possible to use the previous sink drain plumbing to drain a
washing machine into? or would it be too small? Its and 80's house on
slab with pvc i think the sink drains are all 1 1/2 inches.

I would think it would be ok, especially since the newer washers
typically use less water...

Thanks for any advice someone can provide.- shawn

If there will be an inspection (now or later)...
The plumbing code calls for a 2 inch trap and a 2x1.5x2 sanitary tee.
The trap arm must be at least 2 diameters (that is 4 inches) in length.
The trap arm should be 6 to 18 inches above the floor and the stand pipe
should be 18 to 30 inches above the trap.