Posted to alt.home.repair
nancyagor

Default Hardwood floors

Should you install the first floor hardwood going all in the same
direction? Hallway, Livingroom, Kitchen and Familyroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

nancyagor wrote:
Should you install the first floor hardwood going all in the same
direction? Hallway, Livingroom, Kitchen and Familyroom.

Not necessarily, rather depends upon the relationship of one room to
another.

Generally, it is laid with the length of a particular room but if, for
example, a dining room is not a true separate space but merely defined by
half walls - or if the opening is large - and laying the long way would
result in the boards being perpendicular to those in the LR it would
probably look best if the DR were treated as an extension of the LR floor.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

I've never heard of or seen it installed any way other than
perpindicular to the floor joists.

Posted to alt.home.repair
trbo20

As RayV said, I'd think you'd pretty much have to lay them
perpendicular to the joists. Running parallel would eventually cause
serious cupping between the boards. You're not talking about laminate
flooring, are you? If that were the case, then you would want to lay
them so they run away from the windows. Laying perpendicular with the
light source will cause the seams to show.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 24 May 2006 21:40:15 -0500, "nancyagor"
wrote:

Should you install the first floor hardwood going all in the same
direction? Hallway, Livingroom, Kitchen and Familyroom.

Depends how much time you have, and whether the doorways
have sills.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 25 May 2006 08:19:55 -0700, "trbo20" wrote:

As RayV said, I'd think you'd pretty much have to lay them
perpendicular to the joists. Running parallel would eventually cause
serious cupping between the boards. You're not talking about laminate

What are you people using for subflooring? Cereal boxes?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've never heard of or seen it installed any way other than
perpindicular to the floor joists.

Come to my house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

For dinner?

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've never heard of or seen it installed any way other than
perpindicular to the floor joists.

You can come by my house and see it not layed perpendicular to the joists.
In fact, I have no joists! Glued down to concrete.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

You "glued" hardwood flooring to concrete? No sleepers, vapor barrier?

How long has it been there?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
You "glued" hardwood flooring to concrete? No sleepers, vapor barrier?

How long has it been there?

Can be done with engineered wood above grade.