Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I get my soil-filled pool back into operation?

Hi,
I have bought a house with a pool full of soil. The previous owners did
not want it anymore and filled it with dirt. It is now a big flower
bed.

We have had thoughts about fixing it up. I would like to get some tips
what to think about? What can we do ourself and what needs to be done
by professionals?

It is a 9 meter long inground concrete pool and they drilled a few
holes in the bottom before they filled it. All equipment is taken away.
Pipes are probably still there.

Looking at the tiles it looks like we would like to replace them with
another surface/tile. What is recommended?

Ciao Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have bought a house with a pool full of soil. The previous owners did
not want it anymore and filled it with dirt. It is now a big flower
bed.

We have had thoughts about fixing it up. I would like to get some tips
what to think about? What can we do ourself and what needs to be done
by professionals?

It is a 9 meter long inground concrete pool and they drilled a few
holes in the bottom before they filled it. All equipment is taken away.
Pipes are probably still there.

Looking at the tiles it looks like we would like to replace them with
another surface/tile. What is recommended?

Chuckle. I've seen that on a few houses around here. A big concrete patio
with a pool house, and a concrete-edged flower bed. Odds are they did more
than drill a few holes, or the thing would be a swamp whenever it rained.
You're basically starting from scratch here- frost heave has likely cracked
the old gunnite walls, and the pipes are probably full of rust and crud. But
having said that, step one is to dig out all the dirt (by hand, so you don't
break whatever is left down there), and pile it somewhere, to see exactly
what you do have. Once the dirt is out, a pool contractor can tell you if
anything is salvagable, and the cost to get it going. My hunch is they will
tell you to rip it all out and start over. You then get to decide if you
want a pool that much, or if you should just bust up the visible concrete
edging, drop it in the hole, and put the dirt you saved back in there.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have bought a house with a pool full of soil. The previous owners did
not want it anymore and filled it with dirt. It is now a big flower
bed.

We have had thoughts about fixing it up. I would like to get some tips
what to think about? What can we do ourself and what needs to be done
by professionals?

It is a 9 meter long inground concrete pool and they drilled a few
holes in the bottom before they filled it. All equipment is taken away.
Pipes are probably still there.

Looking at the tiles it looks like we would like to replace them with
another surface/tile. What is recommended?

Ciao Roger

Knock off the concrete protruding from the ground and put this foolishness
out of your head. Pools are like boats. Two of the happiest days are the
day that you buy them and the day that you get rid of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

C & E wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Right on! I see more houses with filled in pools than I do with
operating pools. My BIL bought a house in a project. Every house on
his street (both sides) were built with pools. Only one still has one
working. Most have been buried so there is no clue they ever existed.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 24 May 2006 07:10:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Harry K?

C & E wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

It really depends on where you live. Here in AZ old pools are frequently
resurrected. Of course, most pools here are in year 'round operation.

--
Wayne Boatwright @ż@Ź
_____________________

Posted to alt.home.repair
Froggen

Hi,
I live in Melbourne Australia where we don't really have a proper
winter. I have not had any snow during my seven years down here and the
temperature is "never" under 0 degrees.

What is the main reason for getting rid of pools?

Do you know anyone who has resurrected one that I can email?

Ciao Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Froggen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I live in Melbourne Australia where we don't really have a proper
winter. I have not had any snow during my seven years down here and the
temperature is "never" under 0 degrees.

What is the main reason for getting rid of pools?

Pools are a hole in the ground you keep filled with money, a sailboat for
landlocked people. They are fun, but unless you have teenage kids you want
to keep a close eye on, they are awful hard to justify for the 3-4 months a
year the swimming seasons lasts in a large part of North America. People
without the cash flow to just have 'the pool guy' do all the upkeep tend to
get disillusioned with them. I personally know several households where,
once the kids flew the nest, the parents within a few years said the hell
with it and had the pool ripped out. A lot depends on the climate and how
far away public swimming holes are. Where I am, you literally cannot drive
20 minutes in any direction without passing a lake with a public launching
ramp and/or swimming beach, and the 'unheated' swimming season is only 100
days or so, so pools aren't that popular.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Froggen" wrote

What is the main reason for getting rid of pools?

Some ideas:

The time required to keep one functioning.
The effort required to keep one functioning.
The cost required to keep one functioning.
A person does not swim enough to justify the cost or labor.
The space is more desirable as, say a garden, or a barbecue or horseshoe
area.

I liked my pool. But, I would never have another. The one next door at my
vacation rental property is a draw, and houses with pools rent at a higher
rate than those without pools. I did have one in my own back yard, and had
it filled in for a 1,000 sf expansion of the house. It had to be
backfilled, compacted, and tested many times for it to be acceptable to the
inspectors. Major PITA, major cost.

Just some ideas.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

"Froggen" wrote

What is the main reason for getting rid of pools?

I when I was looking for a house to buy, I was almost ready to buy
until I saw a swimming pool in the backyard. I would have bought the
house if the owner agreed to remove the pool. A pool may increase
insurance costs and property taxes, but I'm not sure by how much.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 26 May 2006 22:28:30 -0700, "Froggen"
wrote:

Hi,
I live in Melbourne Australia where we don't really have a proper
winter. I have not had any snow during my seven years down here and the
temperature is "never" under 0 degrees.

What is the main reason for getting rid of pools?

For some folks it's older age. They love the house and the area, but
cannot/will not move, nor are they able to care for the pool. At the
same time "dollars" (a favorite word) are limited by folks on fixed
income. They may have enjoyed the pool for many years and as the
nest emptied, they plant flowers in the previous pool.

I've seen this in Las Vegas... but pools are great for us at 112F this
summer.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to roger.malmberg, lamenda_8 wrote:
Did you have any luck with this?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-113085-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to roger.malmberg, Wayne wrote:
We live in central Arizona where there are countless in-ground concrete pools.
The neighbor of a friend of ours bought a house last year with a pool that
had been filled in with dirt. Upon inspection by a local well-known pool
company, they determined that the entire pool, including the walls and floor,
would have to be replaced in addition to removing the soil.. This company
used some type of sensor(s) to determine just what was underground.

They removed everything with a bulldozer and front end loaders, then started
from scratch to install a proper pool. I doubt you could manage to do this
yourself, but the end result of having a beautiful new pool would probably be
worth it. It was for these people.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-113085-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

do you have to drill holes in bottom before you fill it with dirt what if you dont

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-113085-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

dave wrote

do you have to drill holes in bottom before you fill it with dirt what if
you dont

Tad unlikely to see your question after 14 years.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-113085-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:50:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dave wrote
do you have to drill holes in bottom before you fill it with dirt what if
you donąt

Tad unlikely to see your question after 14 years.

Very likely that YOU sick senile trolling asshole will comment on EVERY
SINGLE such post!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 6:05:04 PM UTC-4, Peeler wrote:
On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:50:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
dave wrote
do you have to drill holes in bottom before you fill it with dirt what if
you dont

Tad unlikely to see your question after 14 years.

Very likely that YOU sick senile trolling asshole will comment on EVERY
SINGLE such post!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Rent a jackhammer and destroy the bottom before filling it in. Leave the sides so it does not collapse and kill you.