DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Asbestos in carpet adhesive (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/162911-asbestos-carpet-adhesive.html)

[email protected] May 22nd 06 06:23 PM

Asbestos in carpet adhesive

I recently purchased a home built in 1970, and decided to remove some
old carpet from the stairs to uncover the hardwood underneath. When I
removed the carpet and the carpet padding, there was a hard yellow
substance stuck to the stairs with a very thin white material on top of
it. I am assuming this is adhesive, but I am not sure. My question
is, can this contain asbestos? I want to remove it, and the material
is crumbling a bit and can be scrapped off, but I am hesitant in case
it might be hazardous in some way. Does anyone know if this is/could
be adhesive and if it might possibly contain asbestos?

Thanks!

louie May 22nd 06 07:51 PM

Asbestos in carpet adhesive

It could be, though it's unlikely. If you're curious, you can look
through the yellow pages for asbestos abatement. Find a lab that does
testing, possibly by calling abatement contractors to ask them who they
use for testing. If you wet the sample area with a small spray bottle
of water and a touch of dish detergent to prevent dust, put a small
sample in a bag or small jar and take it in for testing. Should cost
less than $100 to find out.

HeyBub May 23rd 06 12:54 AM

wrote:
I recently purchased a home built in 1970, and decided to remove some
old carpet from the stairs to uncover the hardwood underneath. When I
removed the carpet and the carpet padding, there was a hard yellow
substance stuck to the stairs with a very thin white material on top
of it. I am assuming this is adhesive, but I am not sure. My
question is, can this contain asbestos? I want to remove it, and the
material is crumbling a bit and can be scrapped off, but I am
hesitant in case it might be hazardous in some way. Does anyone know
if this is/could be adhesive and if it might possibly contain
asbestos?

Thanks!

I can't imagine why asbestos would be in either carpeting or adhesive.
Whatever, you DON'T want to know.

If it IS asbestos, you'll be faced with a (potential) multi-thousand dollar
abatement bill plus having to disclose to future buyers.

PipeDown May 23rd 06 01:22 AM

Asbestos in carpet adhesive

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a home built in 1970, and decided to remove some
old carpet from the stairs to uncover the hardwood underneath. When I
removed the carpet and the carpet padding, there was a hard yellow
substance stuck to the stairs with a very thin white material on top of
it. I am assuming this is adhesive, but I am not sure. My question
is, can this contain asbestos? I want to remove it, and the material
is crumbling a bit and can be scrapped off, but I am hesitant in case
it might be hazardous in some way. Does anyone know if this is/could
be adhesive and if it might possibly contain asbestos?

Thanks!

Not unless it was stuck to asbestos containg floor material like really old
tiles and that was breaking up. If it is dried out and degrading becoming
dust, then wear a mask or respirator anyway.

Sounds like you have some sanding to do also, get something with a dust
pickup and connect it to a vacuume while sanding.

[email protected] May 23rd 06 01:35 PM

Asbestos in carpet adhesive

Thanks for all the advice. I will make sure to wear a respirator when
I do the work. I have read some stuff online about using a heat gun to
help get the adhesive off easier, so hopefully that will not cause a
lot of dust. Really, I was concerned about the white felt like
material that was stuck on the adhesive. I am pretty sure that was
either from the carpet or padding that was on the stairs a while ago.
It almost looks like the felt like material was used to hold the
adhesive in place, but I am not sure. I just wanted to check and make
sure it was unlikely that either carpet or padding could have backing
or something that contained asbestos if in fact that is what the white,
felt like substance is.