Posted to alt.home.repair
tomkanpa

Default Gas oven starts with BOOM!!!

We have an older Sears natural gas stove/oven. In the past few months,
when you light the oven, by turning the gas on (it has a pilot light),
it doesn't light right away. It might take up to 30 seconds and then it
comes on with a BOOM!! Sometimes it causes the door to fly open a
couple of inches.
What could be causing this??

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an older Sears natural gas stove/oven. In the past few months,
when you light the oven, by turning the gas on (it has a pilot light),
it doesn't light right away. It might take up to 30 seconds and then it
comes on with a BOOM!! Sometimes it causes the door to fly open a
couple of inches.
What could be causing this??

Gas is building up until it comes in contact with the flame. Your burner
probably needs to be cleaned.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cheesiepoofs

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an older Sears natural gas stove/oven. In the past few months,
when you light the oven, by turning the gas on (it has a pilot light),
it doesn't light right away. It might take up to 30 seconds and then it
comes on with a BOOM!! Sometimes it causes the door to fly open a
couple of inches.
What could be causing this??

Gas is building up until it comes in contact with the flame. Your burner
probably needs to be cleaned.

geeez, i turn the gas immediately off & wait if it
doesn't ignite within 5-10 seconds (tops) - but to
wait 30 seconds ???? accident waiting to happen -
the fact it blows open the oven door should be a
BIG clue !! unless you want the Darwin award, that
oven should not be used - period - until it's
properly repaired/cleaned.

Reminds me of an old Bugs Bunny episode - with
the gangster hiding in the old house on the hill,
and the cop at the door, with our hero Bugs hiding
the mobster in the oven - then telling the cop,
"would I throw a lighted match in the oven if he
was in there?"....then holds the oven door shut
while it blows up inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"cheesiepoofs" wrote in message

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an older Sears natural gas stove/oven. In the past few months,
when you light the oven, by turning the gas on (it has a pilot light),
it doesn't light right away. It might take up to 30 seconds and then it
comes on with a BOOM!! Sometimes it causes the door to fly open a
couple of inches.
What could be causing this??

Gas is building up until it comes in contact with the flame. Your burner
probably needs to be cleaned.

geeez, i turn the gas immediately off & wait if it
doesn't ignite within 5-10 seconds (tops) - but to
wait 30 seconds ???? accident waiting to happen -
the fact it blows open the oven door should be a
BIG clue !! unless you want the Darwin award, that
oven should not be used - period - until it's
properly repaired/cleaned.

Shhhhhh.....don't give this guy any more clues. Maybe he'll be incinerated
before he can reproduce. People like this raise children who are equally
unable to come to logical conclusions about what they see right before their
eyes. We don't need any more of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

tomkanpa wrote:
We have an older Sears natural gas stove/oven. In the past few months,
when you light the oven, by turning the gas on (it has a pilot light),
it doesn't light right away. It might take up to 30 seconds and then it
comes on with a BOOM!! Sometimes it causes the door to fly open a
couple of inches.
What could be causing this??

I agree with John, clean the burner especially near where the pilot
light is. If you can take it out to clean it that would be better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tomkanpa

Thank you Joey and John for a suggestion of what to try before calling
a service man.

And JoeSpareBedroom, you can kiss my Irish red ass!!! You too,
cheesiepoofs*!

I asked for advice on what to try to fix it myself. I wasn't looking
for criticism.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

tomkanpa wrote:
We have an older Sears natural gas stove/oven. In the past few months,
when you light the oven, by turning the gas on (it has a pilot light),
it doesn't light right away. It might take up to 30 seconds and then it
comes on with a BOOM!! Sometimes it causes the door to fly open a
couple of inches.
What could be causing this??

Please stop reading this newsgroup and call a licensed plumber. Your
house and your life is in danger from an explosion.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

tomkanpa wrote:
Thank you Joey and John for a suggestion of what to try before calling
a service man.

And JoeSpareBedroom, you can kiss my Irish red ass!!! You too,
cheesiepoofs�!

I asked for advice on what to try to fix it myself. I wasn't looking
for criticism.

Tomkanpa,

Since you've received another posting offering no help, I thought I
would expand on the suggestion that John and I gave you.

This problem is common to any gas oven and gas grills.

Over time the burners ports clog up not allowing any gas to come out.
Sometimes you can look at the burners when they are working and you'll
see areas that are not burning. That's because the ports are clogged.
Cleaning the ports is something a homeowner can do themselves and is
considered 'preventive maintenance' so....no need to rush out and hire
someone. All this is assuming that the burners are still in good
condition....no rust throughs.

They actually make burner cleaners that are inserted into each port to
clean them out. I also like to lighly brush with a brass brush the
outside of the burners also. Soaking the burners in a cleaning solution
might also help, but it's important they be absolutely dry before
reinstalling them. It's time consuming, but each one of those many
ports needs to be cleaned, especially the ones near the ignitor point.
You should see a drastic improvement not only in lighting fast, but a
better distribution of the heat once cleaned. So, check out your family
style hardware store for the burner port cleaners which is better, but
using a wire just smaller than the port diameter is better than nothing.

Good luck and don't forget your outside gas grill might also need this
cleaning !

Joey
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stan

Also suggest that you make sure the pilot light is burning normally. If its
jet is corroded or clogged it my be burning badly (e.g. too small) and/or
pointing in the wrong direction so that gas build up inside oven until it
finally 'explodes'.
Sounds very dangerous! Fix immediately.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thank you Joey and John for a suggestion of what to try before calling
a service man.

And JoeSpareBedroom, you can kiss my Irish red ass!!! You too,
cheesiepoofs!

I asked for advice on what to try to fix it myself. I wasn't looking
for criticism.

===============

Sounds to me like you tried lighting that oven more than once, and noticed
its "interesting" new behavior. Is that true? Did you do it more than once?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tomkanpa

From: JoeSpareBedroom
Date: Sun, May 21 2006 10:03*pm

Sounds to me like you tried lighting that oven more than once, and
noticed
its "interesting" new behavior. Is that true? Did you do it more than
once?

____Reply Separator_____

More than once? Yes! But it lit normally after the first time it lit
with the BOOM!
But then once again, it came on with the explosion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

oups.com...
From: JoeSpareBedroom
Date: Sun, May 21 2006 10:03pm

Sounds to me like you tried lighting that oven more than once, and
noticed
its "interesting" new behavior. Is that true? Did you do it more than
once?

____Reply Separator_____

More than once? Yes! But it lit normally after the first time it lit
with the BOOM!
But then once again, it came on with the explosion.

============================

I think you understand my point, then.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tomkanpa

Thanks to John, Joey and Stan, the oven is fixed.

The burner and pilot light assembly needed to be cleaned. The holes in
the burner very close to the pilot light were clogged. In fact there
were two holes that were in a location to obviously be the first ones
to light. I didn't even know these holes were there until I started
wire brushing the burner. When you turned the gas on, it came out of
the burner but not from the holes by the pilot light. It took a little
while for the gas to get to the pilot light. .
I removed the burner and pilot light assembly. I wire brushed them and
then blew them out with compressed air. I re-assembled it, lit all the
pilot lights and lit the oven a half dozen times. Each time in about
3-4 seconds, the burner lit right next to the pilot light and the flame
traveled around the burner, VERY quietly, until the whole burner was
lit. It took about one second.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tomkanpa, nanlaw wrote:
This happened to me after changing out the igniter... turns out that I had
installed the new igniter on the inside of the bracket and it was resting too
close to the burner tube. Luckily, I had taken a picture of what the old
igniter looked like before I took it out... always take a picture, BTW. Easy
fix, was to reinstall the new igniter on the outside of the bracket so that
there is a space between it and the burner tube.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...om-112490-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joey, Blab wrote:
Thank you. That is the answer I was looking for.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...om-112490-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to nanlaw, W Boatwright wrote:
Not that this is of particular interest to anyone, but we have a 30 year old
Weber Genesis gas grill with a side burner. The grill and the burner are both
used on average at least twice a week and lights instantly as soon as the gas
is turned on and the igniter is pushed. The grill racks are cleaned
regularly, but the burners and valves have never needed cleaning. The grill
uses natural gas. I'm going to inspect the ports, valves, and burners just
for kicks, as I don't believe there's anything that requires service.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...om-112490-.htm