DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GRAVEL DRIVEWAY (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/162661-gravel-driveway.html)

[email protected] May 20th 06 01:17 PM

GRAVEL DRIVEWAY

I have a 70 yr. old home; brick and stucco. I currently have one of
those driveways that have concrete "lanes" with a grassy area in
between the concrete. It goes all the way to the back of the house to a
little-used garage and up to my back door. I am going to have it
blacktopped but do not want the blacktop to go right up to my back
door. I would like to use gravel in the back of the house where the
driveway meets my backdoor. If you have to step out your backdoor onto
a driveway, wouldn't it be more natural to step onto a gravel surface?
What are some nice attractive gravel types to use? What about red
instead of gray? Has anyone used gravel outside the backdoor and do you
like it?

Thanks,

Pam Sedor

Jim Elbrecht May 20th 06 01:42 PM

GRAVEL DRIVEWAY

wrote:

-snip-
door. I would like to use gravel in the back of the house where the
driveway meets my backdoor. If you have to step out your backdoor onto
a driveway, wouldn't it be more natural to step onto a gravel surface?
What are some nice attractive gravel types to use? What about red
instead of gray? Has anyone used gravel outside the backdoor and do you
like it?

I think I'd go with pavers. The problem with gravel is that it holds
dirt and moisture and there isn't any way to sweep it, so you are
always tracking into the house. The grass tracked water- but it
is fairly clean. Properly installed pavers will take the abuse of a
car driving on them, but will look elegant right outside your door.

Jim

[email protected] May 20th 06 01:45 PM

GRAVEL DRIVEWAY

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

-snip-
door. I would like to use gravel in the back of the house where the
driveway meets my backdoor. If you have to step out your backdoor onto
a driveway, wouldn't it be more natural to step onto a gravel surface?
What are some nice attractive gravel types to use? What about red
instead of gray? Has anyone used gravel outside the backdoor and do you
like it?

I think I'd go with pavers. The problem with gravel is that it holds
dirt and moisture and there isn't any way to sweep it, so you are
always tracking into the house. The grass tracked water- but it
is fairly clean. Properly installed pavers will take the abuse of a
car driving on them, but will look elegant right outside your door.

Jim

I agree. I wouldn't want gravel outside my door. It looks like hell,
the stones wind up in the grass, and weeds grow in it.

Joseph Meehan May 20th 06 02:58 PM

GRAVEL DRIVEWAY

wrote:
do not want the blacktop to go right up to my back
door. I would like to use gravel in the back of the house where the
driveway meets my backdoor. If you have to step out your backdoor onto
a driveway, wouldn't it be more natural to step onto a gravel surface?

Personally I think it is perfectly natural to step into a blacktop
surface.

If you have the money, I would do the whole drive in brick.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

[email protected] May 20th 06 03:30 PM

GRAVEL DRIVEWAY

gravel is messy, dirt always migrates thru it unless theres a asphalt
on concrete surface under it. a driveway thats 2 different surfaces
will likey cause troubles when you sell home, oh look they didnt finish
the driveway:(

theres a fake gravel, asphalt with gravel crushed into it, but it will
cost more than plain asphalt

Tom G May 20th 06 04:13 PM

GRAVEL DRIVEWAY

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 70 yr. old home; brick and stucco. I currently have one of
those driveways that have concrete "lanes" with a grassy area in
between the concrete. It goes all the way to the back of the house to a
little-used garage and up to my back door. I am going to have it
blacktopped but do not want the blacktop to go right up to my back
door. I would like to use gravel in the back of the house where the
driveway meets my backdoor. If you have to step out your backdoor onto
a driveway, wouldn't it be more natural to step onto a gravel surface?
What are some nice attractive gravel types to use? What about red
instead of gray? Has anyone used gravel outside the backdoor and do you
like it?

Thanks,

Pam Sedor

I have a gravel (limestone) driveway and even though you walk from that over
a 20 ft brick walk and rugs inside and outside the back door to catch the
dirt, we're constantly having to sweep the kitchen floor to pick up the dirt
from the driveway. Really bad when it's been raining. I do prefer the old
time, rustic, look of the gravel drive instead of blacktop, however, and
when my neighbors blacktopped the rest of the 400 ft private lane leading
back to my house, I stayed with the gravel. No problem with them as I was
the last house on the lane.

Tom G

willshak May 21st 06 03:17 AM

GRAVEL DRIVEWAY

wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

wrote:

-snip-

[...]

...and if he really wants to go au-natural, walking on it with bare feet
is really harsh.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Goedjn May 22nd 06 06:54 PM

GRAVEL DRIVEWAY

On 20 May 2006 04:17:36 -0700, wrote:

I have a 70 yr. old home; brick and stucco. I currently have one of
those driveways that have concrete "lanes" with a grassy area in
between the concrete. It goes all the way to the back of the house to a
little-used garage and up to my back door. I am going to have it
blacktopped but do not want the blacktop to go right up to my back
door. I would like to use gravel in the back of the house where the
driveway meets my backdoor. If you have to step out your backdoor onto
a driveway, wouldn't it be more natural to step onto a gravel surface?
What are some nice attractive gravel types to use? What about red
instead of gray? Has anyone used gravel outside the backdoor and do you
like it?

When was the last time you walked on gravel?
Barefoot?
In heels?
If you use big pebbles, it never really settles, and if you use
mixed sand/dirt/gravel, you'll be tracking abrasives into the house
every time you use that doorway.