Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I untilt a costco market umbrella?

Hi All,

I bought a Costco market umbrella, it has a green top and rope pulleys
to raise the umbrella. For a couple of years, we wanted to tilt it
and couldn't figure out how. We moved to another house and during
the move it tilted. And now we can't figure out how to untilt it.

Does anyone know how to untilt and tilt the market umbrella?

Thanks,
Jake

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

At the risk of responding to a troll...

There is a silver button on the side of the mast, right where it hinges.
Push it in and return the 'tilted" mast to it's upright position. This is
all explained (with pictures) in the instructions that you discarded without
reading.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I bought a Costco market umbrella, it has a green top and rope pulleys
to raise the umbrella. For a couple of years, we wanted to tilt it
and couldn't figure out how. We moved to another house and during
the move it tilted. And now we can't figure out how to untilt it.

Does anyone know how to untilt and tilt the market umbrella?

Thanks,
Jake

Posted to alt.home.repair
Otter

I'm not the OP but I feel a reply here is necessary.

I found this post because I'm having a problem as well -- I'm not sure
how to get my new market umbrella to tilt. Our last umbrella (non
tilt) broke and we just replaced it last week.

1 - There is no button to push on mine
2 - It did not come with any instructions either

I'm sure there is a strong spring inside and a good strong pull will
get it to tilt. However, I am uncertain. And with the hinge being at
the very end of my upper reach (on my toes) it's kind of hard to pull
it with ease. So before I stand on a stool and pull on it with all my
might I want to make sure that A- I'm doing it right and I don't break
it, B- In doing so I don't inadvertantly shatter the glass table top
the umbrella is poking thru and C- that there might be something I'm
missing.

Unfortunately the manufacturer's website (treasure garden) doesn't
have an instruction manual pdf I can refer to.

But one thing is for sure - there is definately not a button near the
hinge.

If I don't figure out I'm going to stop in at the retailer I bought it
from next time I'm in the area, but it's kind of out of the way.

-Otter

On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:18:17 -0400, "Craven Morehead"
wrote:

At the risk of responding to a troll...

There is a silver button on the side of the mast, right where it hinges.
Push it in and return the 'tilted" mast to it's upright position. This is
all explained (with pictures) in the instructions that you discarded without
reading.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi All,

I bought a Costco market umbrella, it has a green top and rope pulleys
to raise the umbrella. For a couple of years, we wanted to tilt it
and couldn't figure out how. We moved to another house and during
the move it tilted. And now we can't figure out how to untilt it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Otter

Ha! Figured it out. The next website I looked at was this one:
http://www.cheapawnings.com/am9.html
which describes an auto-tily umbrella. You continue to turn the crank
one the umbrella has reached the end of the mast and it begins to
automatically tilt the umbrella. Just tried it and it worked.

The only thing my umbrella came with was a manufacturer tag telling me
what a great selection of styles they had. No where does it mention
"auto tilt umbrellas"

So. Guess we don't know everything, do we?

wrote:

There is a silver button on the side of the mast, right where it hinges.
Push it in and return the 'tilted" mast to it's upright position. This is
all explained (with pictures) in the instructions that you discarded without
reading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Curt had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...la-112097-.htm
:

Hi. I was searching for the exact same answer and found your earlier post.
Figure you maybe got it straightened out but didn't see it. So I found my
"11' Market Umbrella" from Costco where my good wife filed it back in 2002.
""To tilt the umbrella: Make sure the lower portion of the pole remains
completely stationary when tilting your umbrella. Grasp the upper portion
of the umbrella pole and several ribs of the umbrella and rotate in one
direction by walking around the umbrella pole (you can rotate the umbrella
head in either direction when tilting. It does not matter which
direction."
Reverse the process to untilt.
I think the swivel tilt mechanism was made by Trendler Components,
Chicago. The unit was assembled in China for Costco.
I hadn't even realized it tilted or just forgot. Big wind gust just
twisted the head so hard it tilted. Also tore up the wire which holds the
struts. Now to fix it.
Hope this helps some searcher in the future.
-------------------------------------
wrote:

Hi All,

I bought a Costco market umbrella, it has a green top and rope pulleys
to raise the umbrella. For a couple of years, we wanted to tilt it
and couldn't figure out how. We moved to another house and during
the move it tilted. And now we can't figure out how to untilt it.

Does anyone know how to untilt and tilt the market umbrella?

Thanks,
Jake

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Otter, JB wrote:
Otter wrote:

Ha! Figured it out. The next website I looked at was this one:
http://www.cheapawnings.com/am9.html
which describes an auto-tily umbrella. You continue to turn the crank
one the umbrella has reached the end of the mast and it begins to
automatically tilt the umbrella. Just tried it and it worked.
The only thing my umbrella came with was a manufacturer tag telling me
what a great selection of styles they had. No where does it mention
"auto tilt umbrellas"
So. Guess we don't know everything, do we?
-Otter
On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:18:17 -0400, "Craven Morehead"

Tugging on the top portion of the pole until in the direction of the hinge
allowed mine to tilt. To close it back I had to align it with the hinge
and push it back up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Craven Morehead, Bella wrote:
First of all I am not stupid an neither is my husband. One has an engineering
degree and another has a Masters degree in nursing. We cannot figure out how
to tilt this stupid umbrella

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-5, Bella wrote:
replying to Craven Morehead, Bella wrote:
First of all I am not stupid an neither is my husband. One has an engineering
degree and another has a Masters degree in nursing. We cannot figure out how
to tilt this stupid umbrella
--

So you're a time traveler, cool! It only took you ten years to respond. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Timely Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 5:01 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-5, Bella wrote:
replying to Craven Morehead, Bella wrote:
First of all I am not stupid an neither is my husband. One has an engineering
degree and another has a Masters degree in nursing. We cannot figure out how
to tilt this stupid umbrella
--

So you're a time traveler, cool! It only took you ten years to respond. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Timely Monster

I hear Bella takes it up the azz. 0_o
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/21/2016 05:44 PM, Bella wrote:
replying to Craven Morehead, Bella wrote:
First of all I am not stupid an neither is my husband. One has an engineering
degree and another has a Masters degree in nursing. We cannot figure out how
to tilt this stupid umbrella

You need at least a doctorate degree to operate a patio umbrella.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/21/2016 07:01 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-5, Bella wrote:
replying to Craven Morehead, Bella wrote:
First of all I am not stupid an neither is my husband. One has an engineering
degree and another has a Masters degree in nursing. We cannot figure out how
to tilt this stupid umbrella
--

So you're a time traveler, cool! It only took you ten years to respond. ^_^

And now umbrellas are made so they read your mind and tilt / untilt
themselves, so this thread is now irrelevant :-)

[8~{} Uncle Timely Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Especially after the OP TEN YEARS AGO
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Craven Morehead, David wrote:
To untitled umbrella. I held the base poll tightly while my wife went
counterclockwise. Pole has to remain stationary. The base alone won't keep the
pole stationary. Works just fine. Just need team work

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jake_allen10, jnewell wrote:
I just went out and cranked my past what I thought I should and it tilted!!
Yay! Now we can eat outside this afternoon!!

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 15:14:02 +0000
jnewell m wrote:

replying to jake_allen10, jnewell wrote:
I just went out and cranked my past what I thought I should and it
tilted!! Yay! Now we can eat outside this afternoon!!

In the 9 years since jake asked a large storm blew it and
his house away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to David, Zone wrote:
I followed David's directions and my problem is solved! Thank you!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jake_allen10, Alice Imhof wrote:
I was hesitant about buying an 11 foot umbrella that had a tilt button because
one more thing could go wrong. But they did not have one that did not tilt .
I never tilted my top push button tilt umbrella but a great wind pushed over
the umbrella on its own and now I can't get the darn thing to stand up
straight. I'm wondering if I tighten the screw it will stay straight. PS the
tilt goes back into place to be straight, but it just keeps falling down into
the tilt position. Unfortunately I don't have a man around the house to try to
figure these things out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 1:44:07 PM UTC-5, Alice Imhof wrote:
replying to jake_allen10, Alice Imhof wrote:
I was hesitant about buying an 11 foot umbrella that had a tilt button because
one more thing could go wrong. But they did not have one that did not tilt .
I never tilted my top push button tilt umbrella but a great wind pushed over
the umbrella on its own and now I can't get the darn thing to stand up
straight. I'm wondering if I tighten the screw it will stay straight. PS the
tilt goes back into place to be straight, but it just keeps falling down into
the tilt position. Unfortunately I don't have a man around the house to try to
figure these things out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

I guess old Alice in Wonderland thinks Jake is still hanging
around after making that post ELEVEN YEARS AGO wondering how
to lower that umbrella.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 12:46:16 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

[...]

Maybe she could make a pot roast for a handsome handyman down the
street? Perhaps he could get the "screw" tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2017 2:44 PM, Alice Imhof wrote:
replying to jake_allen10, Alice Imhof wrote:
I was hesitant about buying an 11 foot umbrella that had a tilt button because
one more thing could go wrong. But they did not have one that did not tilt . I never tilted my top push button tilt umbrella but a great wind pushed over
the umbrella on its own and now I can't get the darn thing to stand up
straight. I'm wondering if I tighten the screw it will stay straight. PS the
tilt goes back into place to be straight, but it just keeps falling down into
the tilt position. Unfortunately I don't have a man around the house to try to
figure these things out.

Yah, there's no denying it, you need a penis to fix stuff. Have you tried wearing a strap-on dildo when you tighten the screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Otter, Jojo wrote:
Same issue here. Did you find a solution?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Buck Cash, Kimberly wrote:
Now that's funny!!!! lol

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you so much Otter. Your answer just saved us from having to purchase a new umbrella (as my husband was trying to hammer a screwdriver in the €śmissing button€ť on the tilt mechanism as I was feircely trying to google instructions. I found your response just in time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to cyndyclark, CJB wrote:
Wow. I was just about to take a hammer to mine and read this. Thank you!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jake_allen10, girl wrote:
There is a pro shade video that you can watch to tilt or until it. It took
two people for us to do it. One to old the mast tightly (used a silicone
gripper) and the other to just hold one corner of the umbrella and walk to the
left or right rotating the whole umbrella. good luck!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to girl, Neoalpo wrote:
Yeah, the person rotating the umbrella doesnt have to be very strong
(tallish though), but the person holding the pole better have clamps for hands.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Alice Imhof, Evelyn susan ann Bradford bradford wrote:
SAME issue my busy body land lord tilted mine.I have NO idea hoe to straighten
it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 10:14:05 PM UTC-5, Neoalpo wrote:
replying to girl, Neoalpo wrote:
Yeah, the person rotating the umbrella doesnt have to be very strong
(tallish though), but the person holding the pole better have clamps for hands.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...la-112097-.htm

It took a strong grip and WD40 to loosen up the tilt. Definitely need two people.