DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Craftsman hedge trimmer replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/162047-craftsman-hedge-trimmer-replacement.html)

Joe May 19th 06 02:33 AM

Craftsman hedge trimmer replacement

I bought a craftsman "heave duty hedge trimmer" that has been awful. It says
it can cut through 3/4 stems, but it has been awful cutting through my ivy.

My neighbor has an old school Craftsman from 20-30 years ago that works
great.

I'm curious if there are any other brands that will cut through stems
greater than this, although all electric ones I've seen say 3/4 at most. Do
I need to buy a gasoline powered one instead ?

Thanks

Rob Mills May 19th 06 03:58 AM

"Joe" wrote in message ...

I bought a craftsman "heave duty hedge trimmer" that has been awful. It

says it can cut through 3/4 stems,

That's the size of a broom stick and would beat any hedge trimmer to death.
We have had husky electrics and gas powered (Echo) ones and I wouldn't
subject any of them to that. You need a pair of manual loppers or a chain
saw for the big stuff. RM~

Goedjn May 19th 06 04:43 PM

Craftsman hedge trimmer replacement

On Thu, 18 May 2006 21:58:51 -0500, "Rob Mills"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message ...

I bought a craftsman "heave duty hedge trimmer" that has been awful. It

says it can cut through 3/4 stems,

That's the size of a broom stick and would beat any hedge trimmer to death.
We have had husky electrics and gas powered (Echo) ones and I wouldn't
subject any of them to that. You need a pair of manual loppers or a chain
saw for the big stuff. RM~

Well, the black and decker 24" hedge trimmer (#HS2400) claims
it can cut 3/4" stems. Since they're claiming a "patented blade
design", I'm guessing that it saws through them like an electric
carving knife, rather than chopping them like a sickle-bar...
whoops, nope. I just zoomed in on the photo. It *IS* a
light-duty chainsaw, or something very similar.

[email protected] May 19th 06 05:30 PM

Craftsman hedge trimmer replacement

Shred 3/4" stems perhaps but it will never cleanly sever them.
You are attempting to push tools beyond their physical limits.
Forget the advertising hype.
If you want a decent electric trimmer buy a litle wonder, but you will
still need to spend some time with lopping shears first.

Since when was Ivy a hedge?