Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Wiring a new light switch

If you only have two wires, the black and the white in the switch box, that
timer won't work. You need a mechanical timer. That timer requires a
neutral. Your current switch has a hot wire and a return, but no neutral. If
you had a neutral, you'd wire the hot to black, the neutral to white, and
the load (wire that goes to the light), to blue

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Sorry if this is really trivial, or has asked before, but I can't seem
to find an answer.

I just bought a new light switch for the laundry room in the basement.
It is a Leviton brand which has a bunch of buttons to give you a
predefined amount of "on" time for the light - i.e. you hit the "10"
button for 10 minutes of light.

The switch has 4 wires: Black, white, green, blue. The old basic
switch has 2 wires - black and white. The wiring diagram from Leviton
shows multiple wires coming in from the top and bottom of the switch
box, and how to wire things appropriately.

My old switch has only the two wires: black and a white.

I assume the new switch green goes to the grounding screw on the box.
I also assume the white should be joined to the white, and the black to
the black, each through Marrs connectors.

What do I do with the blue. I've tried a couple of things (joining it
in with the blacks) which powers the switch properly (it has LEDs that
show which timer setting is in use) but the light doesn't go on - which
is really the whole point of a switch....

What should I be doing?

TIA,

Dave

Light switch problem John Home Repair 5 April 2nd 06 02:59 PM
Re-Post for Wall Switch Harry Home Repair 1 July 27th 05 06:56 PM
Light switch wiring [email protected] UK diy 6 May 8th 05 09:12 PM
3 way switch disaster (long but interesting) RB Home Repair 8 July 23rd 04 02:18 PM
how to rewire bathroom pull switch to regular light switch Nick UK diy 20 January 20th 04 07:57 PM