Posted to alt.home.repair
CWLee

Default Small Butane Soldering Torches?

I've soldered for years with a Weller electric soldering
gun. Works fine. Sometimes I need to solder when I'm not
near 110 vac. I've tried a 12 vdc soldering iron and it was
useless. What experience/recommendations do you people have
about brands, models, styles, etc? My applications are
generally electrical/electronic, 10-20 gauge wire.

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V

"CWLee" wrote in message

I've soldered for years with a Weller electric soldering
gun. Works fine. Sometimes I need to solder when I'm not
near 110 vac. I've tried a 12 vdc soldering iron and it was
useless. What experience/recommendations do you people have
about brands, models, styles, etc? My applications are
generally electrical/electronic, 10-20 gauge wire.

Thanks.

I've got the Radio Shack model, works great on both wires and boards. It
comes with 2 tips, 1 small flame tip that I use for the wires and the
traditional needle tip for use on boards, terminals etc.

Well worth the 20$ investment.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CWLee

"Brian V" wrote

I've got the Radio Shack model, works great ...

I looked there, and then learned RS doesn't sell the fuel,
and the clerk had no idea where one could get the fuel.
Where do you purchase the fuel (butane) and how easy is it
to transfer?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

CWLee wrote:
"Brian V" wrote

I've got the Radio Shack model, works great ...

I looked there, and then learned RS doesn't sell the fuel,
and the clerk had no idea where one could get the fuel.
Where do you purchase the fuel (butane) and how easy is it
to transfer?

Thanks.

Most of the small ones I've seen (and one I own) use a standard butane
cigarette lighter filling port, and you fill them from cans of butane
cigarette lighter fuel easily obtainable at most chain pharmacies.

I found some cans of butane that were made for use with some kind of
portable stoves that were the size and shape of large sized spray paint
cans. They held a lot more butane than the cigarette lighter refueling
cans so I bought a couple and lathe turned a nylon adaptor to let me
connect them to my little butane torch when it needed refilling.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

CWLee wrote:
I've soldered for years with a Weller electric soldering
gun. Works fine. Sometimes I need to solder when I'm not
near 110 vac. I've tried a 12 vdc soldering iron and it was
useless. What experience/recommendations do you people have
about brands, models, styles, etc? My applications are
generally electrical/electronic, 10-20 gauge wire.

Thanks.

Hi,
For 10 gauge wire and smaller, Weller dual Wattage gun should do good.
I have been soldering for ~50 years(mil-spec. certified). I always
cleanse my inside to prevent lead poisoning.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CWLee

"Tony Hwang" wrote:

For 10 gauge wire and smaller, Weller dual Wattage gun

should do good. ...

Is that a butane using model? Does it have a model number?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
patrick mitchel

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...RING_IRON_TORC
H_.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:
I've soldered for years with a Weller electric soldering
gun. Works fine. Sometimes I need to solder when I'm not
near 110 vac. I've tried a 12 vdc soldering iron and it was
useless. What experience/recommendations do you people have
about brands, models, styles, etc? My applications are
generally electrical/electronic, 10-20 gauge wire.

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee
"I appreciate those who walk out from the edges with
torches or even in the dark with their hands out in front
of them. We need those explorers and weirdos. I am
so grateful when I find that I am not the first." - Sally
Amsbury.

I got a Radio Shack, older model with a red plastic case, came with a
bunch of tips including a hot air gun which helps a lot for
shrinkwrapping what you just soldered. I love the thing. I used to try
to use 12 volt irons to solder around my car, and they were never worth
diddly.