Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
aurgathor

Default !@#$%^&* ants -- how to get rid of them

I'm having some problems with ants. I first noticed them about a year ago,
and I don't seem to be able to get rid of them. First, they moved into an
electric outlet in my kitchen (a very convenient place, I guess) so I
vacuumed them out and sprayed the outlet with "Ortho HighPower Home defense"
against ants and roaches. So they moved to another outlet. I cleaned that
one, too, and sprayed all other outlets in the kitchen. I also made sure
that the kitchen was cleaned up. However, the ants are still there
somewhere, they apparently just moved to some place I can no longer find
them. (they might be underneath my home)

So, what's the best way to tackle them? I'll be doing a complete remodel of
my kitchen in a couple of months, and if there were something I could spray
behind and underneath the cabinets before putting them back, that could
probably help tremendously.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
DAC

terro ant killer -- http://www.terro.com/

worked for me! Good luck.

Dac

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
No

aurgathor wrote:
[...]

What kind of ants? Big black ones or small ones? Big black ones could be
carpenter ants that nest in wood structures and can damage house. Little
ones are attracted to food, crumbs, water, etc.

See http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/ANTKEY/index.html

-b

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

DAC wrote:
terro ant killer -- http://www.terro.com/

worked for me! Good luck.

Dac

Works for me as well. I think ants favorite food stops are sticky
spills in cupboards,crumbs and spills under refrig. and crumbs around
pet bowls.

Environment helps bring them indoors - either too much rain, which makes
their nest less favorable, or too little rain and they look for moisture.

It doesn't take much of a spill or food crumbs to make a meal for them,
greasy and sweet preferred )
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Steve B

"aurgathor" wrote in message
[...]

The secret to killing ants is to get their mound. There are granules that
you can buy that you spread around, and they take them back to the mound.

I used to take a small amount of ground corn flakes and spray them with
Malthion. Mix them up with a good bit of regular corn flakes. Crush them
to make them easy for an ant to carry.

Then, Diazanon came out with granules. The last one I used had a bag with a
screen in the top. You would just walk around and let the granules fall out
of the screen. Mostly around foundations, walkways, piles of junk, etc.
They worked just as good, and less work.

Don't expect quick results, as with spraying. It might take a week or two
for them to carry enough poison to the mound to kill them all. Good thing
is that the mound won't be immediately occupied by the next group of housing
challenged ants, as there will be residual poison in there.

Killing ants is no problem, but you want to get the mound. If you don't get
the mound and the queen, you are just farting in a stiff breeze.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 15 May 2006 13:05:14 -0700, "DAC" wrote:

terro ant killer -- http://www.terro.com/

worked for me! Good luck.

Dac

I had a lot of little black ants in my kitchen. A couple of weeks ago
I found Terro at the local Lowe's, I put some in the kitchen (next to
the North wall where they seemed to be entering), for the next few
days there were a lot more ants (especially around the Terro), Now
there are very few.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:21:24 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

DAC wrote:
terro ant killer -- http://www.terro.com/

worked for me! Good luck.

Dac

Works for me as well. I think ants favorite food stops are sticky
spills in cupboards,crumbs and spills under refrig. and crumbs around
pet bowls.

Environment helps bring them indoors - either too much rain, which makes
their nest less favorable, or too little rain and they look for moisture.

It doesn't take much of a spill or food crumbs to make a meal for them,
greasy and sweet preferred )

Most of the ones I had were clustered around sticky spills, but they
were all over within a few feet.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Jeff

Yep works like a charm. Of course don't panic when you first use Terro and
a zillion ants begin to take it back to their hive. Just keep adding more.
It's amazing how fact they can remove it. After a few days they suddenly
disappear. I put a strip of masking tape down and put a few drops of Terro
on it.

"DAC" wrote in message
oups.com...
terro ant killer -- http://www.terro.com/

worked for me! Good luck.

Dac

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
aurgathor

I'll go to Loews tomorrow and buy some Terro. I understand that
a good poison is one that doesn't kill the ants immediately, but let
them poison the queen. I had to know what people had success
with.

Thanks for all who replied.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Yep works like a charm. Of course don't panic when you first use Terro

and
a zillion ants begin to take it back to their hive. Just keep adding

more.
It's amazing how fact they can remove it. After a few days they suddenly
disappear. I put a strip of masking tape down and put a few drops of

Terro
on it.

"DAC" wrote in message
oups.com...
terro ant killer -- http://www.terro.com/

worked for me! Good luck.

Dac

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
CHI-MUM

"aurgathor" wrote in message
[...]

Terro ant killer. They take it back to their nest and it kills the whole
colony.

--
CHI-MUM

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

I started working for company a few months ago that has a lot of
experience
in solving building problems with the least toxic method. It was an
eye
opener to me how many of the commonly used products contaminate our
air.

I work on the Dear Sammi SaferBuilder column.

They use barriers like builders foil for outlets and caulk to seal up
other
openings. Builder's foil is similar to aluminum foil. It can be taped
over
openings to make things air tight.

If you can find the nest, then they've told me that they've used
boiling
water to get rid of ants. In their case, there were multiple queens,
so
they had to pour it for a few days in a row. Also the nest was adjacent
the house so they weren't putting water on their foundation.

Another time, when the nest was under the house, the used baits. They
like
borate (boric acid) based baits since they are generally effective and
the
least toxic.

http://SaferBuilding.com/
Contractor Worksheets, Environmental Disclosures,
Certificates of Good Standing

big black ants jay Home Ownership 8 February 27th 13 06:05 PM
ants or termites? jIM Home Repair 18 November 14th 05 03:46 AM
Recommend ways to eliminate Carpenter Ants HerHusband Home Repair 13 June 18th 05 01:56 AM
help -- winged carpenter ants!! [email protected] Home Repair 20 June 10th 05 02:45 PM
How to rid house of ants? Norminn Home Repair 11 October 26th 04 09:02 PM