Old May 15th 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair
davej

Default Cat urine odor ?

Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
daveJ

Old May 15th 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Tim S

davej wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
> aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months
> to find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine
> odor in the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get
> any one to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any
> solutions to remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks so much,
> daveJ

Hi Dave,

Were un-neutered tomcats involved? They're the worst...

Here are some ideas - not particularly well tested...

If you can isolate specific spots where the cat(s) have been widdling,
try vinegar - it's the classic thing to try. It may help, it may not - but
you've nothing to lose. I tried this on a spot were a cat nipped in and
widdled in my bathroom. Limited success but it did help.

Give the house a good airing - windows open on warm days, get rid of as many
furnishings and carpets as possible - even if they aren't damaged they'll
be picking up the odour themselves.

Next thing that *might* work is sodium bicarbonate - get loads in powder
form, mix into a paste with water and daub on to the worst spots, leave to
dry (couple of days if possible) then hoover up dry.

The last trick works really well on fridge interiors - not tested with cat
urine, but might be worth trying?... Bicarb is really good at sucking up
odours.

Failing all of that, perhaps some scent (perfume, joss sticks,
air-freshener) might make it more bearable for the workmen?

HTH

Tim (in the UK)

Old May 15th 06, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Have you tried spraying the whole place with Fabreeze? Available at
supermarkets and Walmart, etc.

Old May 15th 06, 03:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

davej wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home.
> My aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3
> months to find new homes for them. The question that I have involves
> cat urine odor in the house. The house requires a lot of work but I
> cant seem to get any one to work in there because of the odor. Does
> anyone know of any solutions to remove the urine odor. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated!

Ozone generator. Not a piddly-ass model, a BIG one. It should put out 900ug
per minute.

You can buy one on Ebay (significant bucks), then re-sell it when done.

These are used to freshen sites where dead horses have languished for many
months or meeting rooms where the opposition political party has gathered.

Old May 15th 06, 03:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:37:05 -0400, "davej" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
> Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
>aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
>find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
>the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
>to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
>remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks so much,
>daveJ

I had a cat that was 'stressed' and wouldn't go to her pan. Well
after some research, I had to take steps to clean it up.

1. Find the areas effected.
2. Try and remove as much urine as possible. Wipe down, dab up,
carpet clean.
3. Realize you cannot cover the smell or fully removed it, and treat
the area with an enzime that will break down the urine. Some people
suggest nature's miracle, but I found "simple solution" worked best
for us.

Now we only had a few small spots, but it did take time. The areas's
weren't physically damaged, so there was no reason to remove effecte
material. What I'm saying, what worked for us doesn't mean it will
work for all situations. You might have to replace items, or hire a
real cleaning service.

good luck,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Old May 15th 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article >, davej says...

>Hi,
>
> Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
>aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
>find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
>the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
>to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
>remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks so much,

Open up house (all windows..), pull up and discard all carpet and strips, etc.
You may need to pull up other flooring, too. Possibly even some
wallboards/sheetrock if you see water-discoloration marks.

Anything you may need to discard due to cat odor is repairs you'd need to do
anyway. So you might as well start by getting that stuff out.

Banty

Old May 15th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

There is a product an Enzime base deoderiser it might be Natures
Miracle or something similar, call pet stores or look online. Ive heard
it works, that the enzime digests the odor bacteria-molicule or
something like that, it does more than cover it up, it gets rid of the
smell.

Old May 15th 06, 04:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair
No

Banty wrote:
> In article >, davej says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
>> aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
>> find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
>> the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
>> to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
>> remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks so much,

> Open up house (all windows..), pull up and discard all carpet and strips, etc.
> You may need to pull up other flooring, too. Possibly even some
> wallboards/sheetrock if you see water-discoloration marks.
>
> Anything you may need to discard due to cat odor is repairs you'd need to do
> anyway. So you might as well start by getting that stuff out.
>
> Banty

This is the best advice, based upon experience. Once you do all of that,
then use some type of enzyme based cleaner. Then use a sealer like
kills, bin shellac or even polyurathane on the exposed portions of the
structure then have your workers re-sheetrock, re-floor, etc.

For a one spot small mess the other suggestions are fine.

I even heard of one severe case where the house was donated to the local
fire company for practice - They burned the house down.

If the neighborhood can support a new house it may even be worthwhile
re-building for a better ROI.

Old May 15th 06, 05:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

"m Ransley" > wrote in message
> There is a product an Enzime base deoderiser it might be Natures
> Miracle or something similar, call pet stores or look online. Ive heard
> it works, that the enzime digests the odor bacteria-molicule or
> something like that, it does more than cover it up, it gets rid of the
> smell.

We used this product on a corner of the dining room where I discovered that
our cat had taken to urinating on the carpet. It takes some time for the
product to work (sometimes weeks) as it has to "digest" the urine residue.
My mother repossesed an old mom and pop store building where the tenant had
allowed a tomcat free roam of the empty store area. He had sprayed all over
the place and the odor was horrific. I gave her some of this stuff and she
sprayed everywhere she could smell the cat and within a few weeks the odor
was gone. Like I said, you have to be patient and may even have to apply
more than once if it's really bad.

Tom G.

Old May 15th 06, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On 15 May 2006 07:47:02 -0700, Banty > wrote:
> Anything you may need to discard due to cat odor is repairs you'd need to do
> anyway. So you might as well start by getting that stuff out.

Should have started with a 12-gauge for the cats...