DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cat urine odor ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/160326-cat-urine-odor.html)

davej May 15th 06 03:37 PM

Cat urine odor ?

Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
daveJ

Tim S May 15th 06 04:01 PM

Cat urine odor ?

davej wrote:

Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months
to find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine
odor in the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get
any one to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any
solutions to remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
daveJ

Hi Dave,

Were un-neutered tomcats involved? They're the worst...

Here are some ideas - not particularly well tested...

If you can isolate specific spots where the cat(s) have been widdling,
try vinegar - it's the classic thing to try. It may help, it may not - but
you've nothing to lose. I tried this on a spot were a cat nipped in and
widdled in my bathroom. Limited success but it did help.

Give the house a good airing - windows open on warm days, get rid of as many
furnishings and carpets as possible - even if they aren't damaged they'll
be picking up the odour themselves.

Next thing that *might* work is sodium bicarbonate - get loads in powder
form, mix into a paste with water and daub on to the worst spots, leave to
dry (couple of days if possible) then hoover up dry.

The last trick works really well on fridge interiors - not tested with cat
urine, but might be worth trying?... Bicarb is really good at sucking up
odours.

Failing all of that, perhaps some scent (perfume, joss sticks,
air-freshener) might make it more bearable for the workmen?

HTH

Tim (in the UK)

Art May 15th 06 04:04 PM

Cat urine odor ?

Have you tried spraying the whole place with Fabreeze? Available at
supermarkets and Walmart, etc.

HeyBub May 15th 06 04:13 PM

Cat urine odor ?

davej wrote:
Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home.
My aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3
months to find new homes for them. The question that I have involves
cat urine odor in the house. The house requires a lot of work but I
cant seem to get any one to work in there because of the odor. Does
anyone know of any solutions to remove the urine odor. Any help would
be greatly appreciated!

Ozone generator. Not a piddly-ass model, a BIG one. It should put out 900ug
per minute.

You can buy one on Ebay (significant bucks), then re-sell it when done.

These are used to freshen sites where dead horses have languished for many
months or meeting rooms where the opposition political party has gathered.

Tom The Great May 15th 06 04:27 PM

Cat urine odor ?

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:37:05 -0400, "davej"
wrote:

Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
daveJ

I had a cat that was 'stressed' and wouldn't go to her pan. Well
after some research, I had to take steps to clean it up.

1. Find the areas effected.
2. Try and remove as much urine as possible. Wipe down, dab up,
carpet clean.
3. Realize you cannot cover the smell or fully removed it, and treat
the area with an enzime that will break down the urine. Some people
suggest nature's miracle, but I found "simple solution" worked best
for us.

Now we only had a few small spots, but it did take time. The areas's
weren't physically damaged, so there was no reason to remove effecte
material. What I'm saying, what worked for us doesn't mean it will
work for all situations. You might have to replace items, or hire a
real cleaning service.

good luck,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Banty May 15th 06 04:47 PM

Cat urine odor ?

In article , davej says...

Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Open up house (all windows..), pull up and discard all carpet and strips, etc.
You may need to pull up other flooring, too. Possibly even some
wallboards/sheetrock if you see water-discoloration marks.

Anything you may need to discard due to cat odor is repairs you'd need to do
anyway. So you might as well start by getting that stuff out.

Banty

m Ransley May 15th 06 04:48 PM

Cat urine odor ?

There is a product an Enzime base deoderiser it might be Natures
Miracle or something similar, call pet stores or look online. Ive heard
it works, that the enzime digests the odor bacteria-molicule or
something like that, it does more than cover it up, it gets rid of the
smell.

No May 15th 06 05:31 PM

Cat urine odor ?

Banty wrote:
[...]

This is the best advice, based upon experience. Once you do all of that,
then use some type of enzyme based cleaner. Then use a sealer like
kills, bin shellac or even polyurathane on the exposed portions of the
structure then have your workers re-sheetrock, re-floor, etc.

For a one spot small mess the other suggestions are fine.

I even heard of one severe case where the house was donated to the local
fire company for practice - They burned the house down.

If the neighborhood can support a new house it may even be worthwhile
re-building for a better ROI.

Tom G May 15th 06 06:09 PM

Cat urine odor ?

"m Ransley" wrote in message
There is a product an Enzime base deoderiser it might be Natures
Miracle or something similar, call pet stores or look online. Ive heard
it works, that the enzime digests the odor bacteria-molicule or
something like that, it does more than cover it up, it gets rid of the
smell.

We used this product on a corner of the dining room where I discovered that
our cat had taken to urinating on the carpet. It takes some time for the
product to work (sometimes weeks) as it has to "digest" the urine residue.
My mother repossesed an old mom and pop store building where the tenant had
allowed a tomcat free roam of the empty store area. He had sprayed all over
the place and the odor was horrific. I gave her some of this stuff and she
sprayed everywhere she could smell the cat and within a few weeks the odor
was gone. Like I said, you have to be patient and may even have to apply
more than once if it's really bad.

Tom G.

Grumman-581 May 15th 06 06:20 PM

Cat urine odor ?

On 15 May 2006 07:47:02 -0700, Banty wrote:
Anything you may need to discard due to cat odor is repairs you'd need to do
anyway. So you might as well start by getting that stuff out.

Should have started with a 12-gauge for the cats...

Banty May 15th 06 06:48 PM

Cat urine odor ?

In article , No says...

Banty wrote:
[...]

Yep. I have cats, had one that became incontinent (put her outdoors and cared
for her best I can), and, after multiple liberal applications of "Natures's
Miracle", finally took an xacto knife to the carpet in question.

A conversation with a ServPro manager later confirmed that experience - the
enzyme stuff needs very liberal application, takes a long time, and works only
yea far - someone inured to the cat odor (read, the cat owner) may get it where
they think it 'works' (and this IMO is where all the positive testimonials come
from), but my neighbors' kids were telling me otherwise.

In the case of the original poster, he has a much bigger problem than
spot-cleaning would solve, and has no attachment to the current interior
furbishments. So, really, all that stuff should just go out.

I think it would have to be a really extreme case to do more than possibly
re-wall in places.

Banty

m Ransley May 15th 06 09:45 PM

Cat urine odor ?

Sometimes the floor and subfloor must go, I saw it happen in one room a
dog lived in.

Richard J Kinch May 15th 06 09:48 PM

Cat urine odor ?

davej writes:

Does anyone know of any solutions ...

You should really choose your aunts more carefully.

Tom The Great May 15th 06 10:31 PM

Cat urine odor ?

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:48:36 -0500, (m Ransley)
wrote:

There is a product an Enzime base deoderiser it might be Natures
Miracle or something similar, call pet stores or look online. Ive heard
it works, that the enzime digests the odor bacteria-molicule or
something like that, it does more than cover it up, it gets rid of the
smell.

I tried Nature's Miracle, and made an invisible cat mess, into a very
visiable yellow/brown stain. I waited, and waited, but didn't seem to
get rid of the smell, and stain bothered me. The stain did come out
with a simple steam cleaning, but smell was still there. I went to
"Simple Solution" and I noticed results almost overnight. The smell
declined over serveral days.

I recommend, you use aluminium foil layed over the spot to keep it
moist. Plus cats seem to hate the feeling of foil under their feet,
they left it very much alone.

This worked for me, results may vary.

later,

tom @
www.Consolidated-Loans.info

wayne May 16th 06 12:52 AM

Cat urine odor ?

Dave:

If there is any carpet you will probably need to pull it up remove the
padding and seal the floor with Kilz or some other product.

here is the bad part. Go to a party supply place and pick up a black
light fluorescent or flood and go over to the house when it is dark and
turn on the blacklight. The urine stains will glow white. I had a dog
with a "problem" and have NOT found any product from natures miracle to
urine gone and about 6 other products that will actually remove the
stain so it will not show up under blacklight

Check the walls urine on walls will come off with a regular cleaner

Wayne

Brad Bruce May 16th 06 03:14 AM

Cat urine odor ?

http://www.odordestroyer.com

[email protected] May 16th 06 03:37 AM

Cat urine odor ?

I HAD THAT TROUBLE! With 2 incontenient people mom stepdad and 3 ill
dogs.

You CANT wash it off or neutralize the odor....

No how no way!

You just do what fire restoration companies do...

Discard all cloth smelly stuff. carpet pad furniture etc.

Empty area completely and scrub down with your favorite spic and span,
mr clean etc. Wash EVERYTHING AND RINSE TWICE, change water often!

Paint all walls etc with BIN or KILZ. sand floor lightly and coat with
OUTDOOR polyruethane! Use the outdoor smelly kind so the odor doesnt
reoccur every time you have wet weather.

this is the ONLY way but it works 100% and you will never know you had
a problem!

Basically you seal the odor into the surfaces

mm May 16th 06 05:16 AM

Cat urine odor ?

wrote:

Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
daveJ

A guy in a car group had mouse urine in his car's hood pad. This is
what he said:

I tried Nature's Miracle, and Febreze, and neither appeared to work-
so I thought. I went out today, and not a smell to be smelled in the
hood pad. So, either, or both, I don't know. I went over the
interior with Prestone interior cleaner which claims to have a odor
nuetralizer. The interior was slightly smelly because of air going
into the car thru the HVAC, not from critters inside. I think I'll
have to spray some of the Nature's Miracle (put into a spray bottle)
and/or Febreze into the air intake where the washer bottle is. Some
prob got down there, too. It looks curable though. YEAH! Thanks for
all the input.

The Enigmatic One May 22nd 06 09:37 AM

Cat urine odor ?

In article ,
says...

There is a product an Enzime base deoderiser it might be Natures
Miracle or something similar, call pet stores or look online. Ive heard
it works, that the enzime digests the odor bacteria-molicule or
something like that, it does more than cover it up, it gets rid of the
smell.

Yeah, sorta.

The enzyme products you see in most stores--mainstream stuff--is pretty
poor stuff. Weak. Better than, say, Febreeze, but not something to deal
with a serious issue.

Head to your Vet, a veternary supply place or, better, a medical supply
place and get a real industrial strength enzyme--the stuff they use to
clean up in nursing homes and the like. I've found Urine Off to work
well, but it is pretty expensive.

-Tim

The Enigmatic One May 22nd 06 09:42 AM

Cat urine odor ?

In article , says...

Open up house (all windows..), pull up and discard all carpet and strips, etc.
You may need to pull up other flooring, too. Possibly even some
wallboards/sheetrock if you see water-discoloration marks.

Anything you may need to discard due to cat odor is repairs you'd need to do
anyway. So you might as well start by getting that stuff out.

Yup. When we moved into our place two rooms were in bad shape from (mostly)
cats but also a dog. One room was bad, the other, especially the closet, was
horrendous.

Not knowing how big a problem it could be, we tried simple sprays and a carpet
cleaner.

Nope.

So, out all of the carpet came. And the tackboards. And the floor moulding.
Down to bare slab. We painted the walls, using Killz primer (real oil-based
stuff) as a base coat, then washed the floors, etched with Muriatic acid, and
used the Killz as a seal on the floor (saving money there instead of getting
something specific.) No issues years later. No smells at all, even in damp
periods--and we've got two cats who might just decide that if an area smells,
it's the place to go.

Lots of work, but you need to make sure you get more than just the surface
layer or the smell will work its way back from the subfloor and the like.

-Tim

Tom The Great May 22nd 06 10:00 PM

Cat urine odor ?

On Mon, 22 May 2006 02:37:41 -0500, mers (The Enigmatic
One) wrote:

In article ,
says...

There is a product an Enzime base deoderiser it might be Natures
Miracle or something similar, call pet stores or look online. Ive heard
it works, that the enzime digests the odor bacteria-molicule or
something like that, it does more than cover it up, it gets rid of the
smell.

Yeah, sorta.

The enzyme products you see in most stores--mainstream stuff--is pretty
poor stuff. Weak. Better than, say, Febreeze, but not something to deal
with a serious issue.

Head to your Vet, a veternary supply place or, better, a medical supply
place and get a real industrial strength enzyme--the stuff they use to
clean up in nursing homes and the like. I've found Urine Off to work
well, but it is pretty expensive.

-Tim

My two cents....

I contacted my Vet about my cat's accidents, and in the process ased
how to remove the urine, since that was part of her rehab, and they
recommeded Nature's Miracle. Since that is what they sold.

later,

tom @
www.FreelancingProjects.com