DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   re-attach ceramic towel rod (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/160189-re-attach-ceramic-towel-rod.html)

[email protected] May 14th 06 05:07 PM

re-attach ceramic towel rod

I'm not sure what adhesive to use. I have ceramic towel bar, both
holders had come loose. It's the type where small squares about 2 in
by 2 in were cut in to the tile (one for each rod holder) and then the
lip of the holders were recessed into the holes. I have cleaned out
each of the holes, and the drywall behind looks dry and in good shape.
What product do I use to re-attach the holders, and how's the best
way to support it while it's drying / curing? Thanks in advance,
Steve

Newfie May 15th 06 02:35 PM

re-attach ceramic towel rod

Just use ordinary tile adhesive - thinset will do fine. Just allpy a
blob on the wall and push the support fixture in. The adhesive will
hold the fixture for you but to keep it straight and to further
support the holder after you apply the bar, use painters tape to secure
it to the wall until fully dry.

No May 15th 06 02:50 PM

re-attach ceramic towel rod

wrote:
I'm not sure what adhesive to use. I have ceramic towel bar, both
holders had come loose. It's the type where small squares about 2 in
by 2 in were cut in to the tile (one for each rod holder) and then the
lip of the holders were recessed into the holes. I have cleaned out
each of the holes, and the drywall behind looks dry and in good shape.
What product do I use to re-attach the holders, and how's the best
way to support it while it's drying / curing? Thanks in advance,
Steve

It was probably installed with thinset mortar originally. I'm not sure
you can buy very small quantities though. If you can get latex additive
to mix it with to add strength (Don't mix with water).

But - In your case - I would check in the caulk isle. Look to see if
liquid nails has a product for tile. It would be fast and easy. I'm
pretty sure they do. You can use some duct tape to hold it in place
while the glue dries. Make sure all surfaces are clean and free of old
adhesive first. You will also need to re-grout. You could also use caulk
if you could find a good color match.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Stubby May 15th 06 08:26 PM

re-attach ceramic towel rod

wrote:
I'm not sure what adhesive to use. I have ceramic towel bar, both
holders had come loose. It's the type where small squares about 2 in
by 2 in were cut in to the tile (one for each rod holder) and then the
lip of the holders were recessed into the holes. I have cleaned out
each of the holes, and the drywall behind looks dry and in good shape.
What product do I use to re-attach the holders, and how's the best
way to support it while it's drying / curing? Thanks in advance,
Steve

I believe the standard is plaster of Paris. It sets quickly and is very
hard.