DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Oile tank placment & painting (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/157859-oile-tank-placment-painting.html)

jackson May 14th 06 12:20 AM

Oile tank placment & painting

We have to move an oil tank and we are wondering what the minimum safe
distance from the furnace should be.

Also, the tank has small spots of light surface rust - is it ok to
clean/sand those spots and then paint them with say RustOlieum?

[email protected] May 14th 06 12:37 AM

Oile tank placment & painting

Greetings,

a) Call your local code officer to ask the distance question.
b) Yes, you can pait your tank, but I would go ahead and paint the
entire thing when you move it with a good industrial oil-based paint.

Hope this helps,
William

jackson May 14th 06 02:04 AM

Oile tank placment & painting

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

a) Call your local code officer to ask the distance question.
b) Yes, you can pait your tank, but I would go ahead and paint the
entire thing when you move it with a good industrial oil-based paint.

Hope this helps,
William

We have no code officer in our corner of the world. Guess that's a mixed
blessing...? Any 'standard' safe distance for placement that we can use as
a guideline?

Thank you

[email protected] May 14th 06 02:19 AM

Oile tank placment & painting

how old is your oil tank? they frequently rust more from the inside
out...

moving it may bring about leaking.

ask your oil supplier about safe distance....

Goedjn May 15th 06 08:40 PM

Oile tank placment & painting

On 13 May 2006 18:19:56 -0700, "
wrote:

how old is your oil tank? they frequently rust more from the inside
out...

moving it may bring about leaking.

ask your oil supplier about safe distance....

You're more likely to be limited by the requirement for working
room around the furnace than by safe set-back limits. If YOU can
get between the two and work, the furnace isn't going to heat
the tank enough to matter, and if the tank blows a seam or
fills the basement with vapor, then no amount of distance is
going to be enough. If you find that the tank is warm to
the touch when the furnace runs, just shove a panel of gypsum
board between them.

-Goedjn

jackson May 26th 06 12:32 PM

Oil tank placment & painting - info

FYI -

After getting 3 opinions from different heating contractors they all stated
the required set back is five feet. One even said that when the tank is
reconnected and new fill pipe is sticking out the oil delivery guy will want
to inspect the installation prior to the first fill.

Thank you everyone for the input.

Cheers!