DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What type of AC motor have I got? capacitor start motor? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/156399-what-type-ac-motor-have-i-got-capacitor-start-motor.html)

Zoubidoo May 6th 06 02:08 PM

What type of AC motor have I got? capacitor start motor?

I have a washing machine motor that, although relatively new, no longer
works. I believe it's a "capacitor start motor"(*). I've
- disconnected it from the washing machine
- tested resistance across wires (there are five).
- found current flows freely between all wires.

I don't know much about electric motors, especially AC ones, but I
understand there should be two separate coils with the capacitor
providing a phase-shift. But if current flows freely between the two
coils then it's bad news - it would seem the coils have melted and
shorted. Basically, it's good for the bin.

Is this the only possible explanation?

* The casing says "asynchronous monophase" but according to wikipedia
there should be a centrifugal switch but I couldn't find it - could it
be a different type of motor? Could that explain the short circuits?

Speedy Jim May 6th 06 02:24 PM

Zoubidoo wrote:

I have a washing machine motor that, although relatively new, no longer
works. I believe it's a "capacitor start motor"(*). I've
- disconnected it from the washing machine
- tested resistance across wires (there are five).
- found current flows freely between all wires.

I don't know much about electric motors, especially AC ones, but I
understand there should be two separate coils with the capacitor
providing a phase-shift. But if current flows freely between the two
coils then it's bad news - it would seem the coils have melted and
shorted. Basically, it's good for the bin.

Is this the only possible explanation?

* The casing says "asynchronous monophase" but according to wikipedia
there should be a centrifugal switch but I couldn't find it - could it
be a different type of motor? Could that explain the short circuits?

Probably a multi-speed capacitor run.
The cap provides the phase shift and remains in the circuit
after starting. Thus no centrif sw.
5 leads for multi-speed windings.

Run and Start windings share a common (Neutral), thus there
is continuity between all, as you measured.

Jim

Zoubidoo May 6th 06 03:04 PM

What type of AC motor have I got? capacitor start motor?

Thanks Jim, you just saved me throwing out a healthy motor! Reading up
on testing the capacitor...

[email protected] May 6th 06 03:06 PM

Zoubidoo wrote:
Thanks Jim, you just saved me throwing out a healthy motor! Reading up
on testing the capacitor...

Instead of trying to figure out how to test everything, why don't you
just plug it in?

Zoubidoo May 6th 06 03:10 PM

What type of AC motor have I got? capacitor start motor?

I usually would but in this case I'm not sure about the wiring and if
the coils have shorted then I'm up for a big bang....or is that you
what you want ;-)

Zoubidoo May 8th 06 11:16 AM

What type of AC motor have I got? capacitor start motor?

Final update: it turns out that the capacitor had packed up. Replaced
it (7.50 euros) and washing machine is now running just fine.

Thanks to all for your advice and wish you all successful repairs.