DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   billiard light install (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/155793-billiard-light-install.html)

John P Reber May 1st 06 08:20 PM

billiard light install

I'm installing a 57 inch, 3 shade billiard lamp over our 8' billiard table.

Any hints on ensuring the lamp is centered?

The ceiling is sloped with the length following the slope?

Do I need special supports in the ceiling or will anchor bolts suffice?

Electric outlet was installed during construction in anticipation of
table, so electricity is not an issue.

PipeDown May 1st 06 11:09 PM

billiard light install

"John P Reber" wrote in message
.. .
I'm installing a 57 inch, 3 shade billiard lamp over our 8' billiard
table.

Any hints on ensuring the lamp is centered?

A plumb bob and one of those laser things that project a line.
Project a line down the middle of the table and adjust the top of the plumb
string so that bob points to the line. If your off by an inch, it will be
unnoticible.

The ceiling is sloped with the length following the slope?

Really all you need is a home made plumb bob and a pencil

Do I need special supports in the ceiling or will anchor bolts suffice?

If you can get some eye bolts into the joists/rafters then you are all set.
The support chains can hang a little diagonal (along the line of the lamp)
to accomodate this.

If no beams then you need anchors sufficient for the weight of the lamp.
I've seen lamps made of wood and metal that look like they weigh a ton and
others made of a vacuum formed plastic shell that looked very light.