Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator Water Filter Question

Hi! I've been puzzling over a water filter problem, and although I
*did* find rick's "frozen supply line" post from Februrary
(http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...41413608223016),
that doesn't appear to be our problem since I can remove the filter and
water flow is restored. If it makes a difference, I'm in Melbourne,
Florida.

Last fall, our ancient iron supply line cracked somewhere in the yard.
Instead of patching it, I replaced it with a PVC supply line from the
meter to the local shutoff under the house. The refrigerator filter
almost immediately clogged; I was not suprised; some dirt must have
gotten into the pipe during installation.

Between Christmas and New Year's I replaced about 70% of the cold water
pipes in the house; the old system was a hodgepodge of iron, copper and
PVC that spread around the crawlspace like a giant spider web. I
installed new PVC pipes for the kitchen, laundry, hot water supply and
one bathroom (another bathroom has yet to be upgraded). As part of that
process, I installed a heavy-duty whole-house water filter and used the
activated carbon element that came with the housing. I replaced the
refrigerator filter when I finished.

In late February the refrigerator filter was clogged again. I had read
somewhere that activated carbon fiters shed particles and I thought
that that might be the culprit. I replaced the whole house filter
element (pleated cellulose this time) and the refrigerator filter at
the same time.

In the past few weeks the refrigerator filter as clogged again. I cut
it apart this time, and upon disection I found the filter element to be
comprised of a black felt-like material. I doubt it's carbon since I
replaced the elements at the same time.

I've got new PVC pipes from the street to the under-sink shut off. The
water reaching the refrigerator has to pass through a whole-house
filter with a new element. My last theory would be algae, but we're on
city (chlorinated and treated) water. I'm also not quite sure how to
treat the house for algae, anyway.

Thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

(
[...]

The filter in the fridge may not have enough water flow to completely
have eliminated all the debris in that line from when your repairs were
made.

Try disconnecting line from fridge and running for a while open into a
bucket and see what comes out and see if ever clears up.

We are on county treated water, and I get stuff in my lines that is kind
of black, though was mold but no other issues and clogs up the screens
on the faucets. Not sure what it is but our water comes from a surface
resivor so I had thought may be some sort of algae ?

Air conditioner return grille Rick DeBay Home Ownership 5 August 22nd 05 09:04 PM
Water Filter Question Jenny Home Ownership 2 March 24th 05 07:21 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
OT - Diesel Fuel Filter Question Laurie Forbes Metalworking 10 February 24th 04 05:01 AM