Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Puzzle

I'm in process of replacing my water heater (gas). I've got the new
one out of the carton and it's got all the normal stuff plus something
extra: a bag containing two 3/4" galvanized steel nipples. Each is 2"
long with a blue plastic lining running the length of the inside and
protruding about 1/16" at each end. If I screwed one down on the dip
tube (which seems to be the same color plastic) effectively the water
wouldn't touch the galvanized nipple. I don't know why I'd want this
on the hot side though.

But wait, there's more. At one end of each nipple attached to the blue
plastic lining is a (also) blue plastic ring bringing the outlet
diameter down to 3/8". Inside the ring is a black rubber flap, very
thin, and attached only on one side. Except that it's rubber and
there's a small gap around the black rubber and I can blow the flap
out of the way in either direction, it could be a check valve. There's
no directional arrows on the nipple.

The only reference in the manual is on the repair parts schematic
where these nipples are described as: "Nipple w/Heat Traps". In the
installation section the diagram shows an arrow pointing to the hot
and cold inlets with the description: "3/4" Threaded Nipple". Nothing
about heat traps. The impression is that you could use any 3/4"
nipple.

Does anyone have any idea of the function of these special nipples and
which way they go in. I'm a little worried that the rubber flap is so
flimsy that it'll break off and end up blocking some faucet. Maybe
it's a partially disconnected washer (the hole hasn't been properly
punched out) but why would they reduce the size to 3/8"?

If no one has any good ideas, screw them. I'll just put back the 3/4"
brass nipples I removed from the old heater.

Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM