Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil

Default standard single handle shower faucet

I'm trying to replace an old shower faucet for my 87 y/o father-in-law.
Bought a new single handle faucet and took the old one off. that's when the
fat lady started singing.
This house was built in the 1940's. There is a round plate with 4 screws. I
removed the screws expecting to see a hot and cold pipe. No such luck.
Inside was 2 brass cylinders (1 hot, 1 cold) The stem had large threads that
mesh with the 2 cylinders for water temp control. No way can I remove the
inside piece to connect to the new unit, plus it would never fit. I guess I
need to find an exact replacement. Any ideas of where to look?

thanks
Phil in miami

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Phil wrote:
I'm trying to replace an old shower faucet for my 87 y/o father-in-law.
Bought a new single handle faucet and took the old one off. that's when the
fat lady started singing.
This house was built in the 1940's. There is a round plate with 4 screws. I
removed the screws expecting to see a hot and cold pipe. No such luck.
Inside was 2 brass cylinders (1 hot, 1 cold) The stem had large threads that
mesh with the 2 cylinders for water temp control. No way can I remove the
inside piece to connect to the new unit, plus it would never fit. I guess I
need to find an exact replacement. Any ideas of where to look?

thanks
Phil in miami

Personally, I think you're out of your league.

Mfr such as:
Hydroguard
Speakman
Symmons

made a wide variety of single-handle, upscale controls.

Symmons, especially, was popular in the 40's.

GOOGLE around to see if you see some model that looks
familiar.

Your local hardware store may have resources to look up parts.

Replace the *entire* control with an identical one??
I don't think so.
You'll be lucky to find replacement parts.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Normally the procedure requires cutting the tile wall, cutting or
unthreading the old pipes from the old two handle faucet, then soldering new
pipe sections to the new faucet and finally repairing the tile or covering
the hole with a large faceplate. Depending on if you have copper of
galvinized steel pipes, the fittings you use will vary.

Based on your suprise at not finding a drop in fix, you might want to
consult a plumber or read a few books before trying again. Most DIY
plumbing books (and there are many) have something on the subject. leaf
through some at the bookstore or hardware store and get the one that
explains it the best, then get another book for contrast.

. ..