Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

Default Lawnmower..front vs. rear drive

NickySantoro wrote:
I have to get a new mower soon and have been seeing a lot of rear
drive types advertised. Are there any significant advantages or
disadvantages to the rear drive as opposed to the front drive I am
used to?

I own both styles of mowers and find them both to be useful under
different circumstances. With a rear wheel you have to operate the
clutch each time you want to stop or slow the mower. This makes it
better on long runs with few obstacles.

With a front wheel you can leave the drive engaged all the time and
then just lift the front wheels to slow or turn the machine. This
makes it better for mowing around stumps and rocks.

The front wheel drive has a lot less traction overall especially in
rough ground or high grass. Under those type of conditions you really
need a rear wheel drive. The rear wheel drive is a far more positive
drive and can be expected to have a wider range of speeds to choose
from. Front wheel drives usually have just one speed.

If I were buying another mower I would likely opt for another rear
wheel drive because it suits my situation best. If your ground is
smooth with few obstacles then you will likely save money by purchasing
a front wheeler. I think they are cheaper.