DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lawnmower..front vs. rear drive (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/154708-re-lawnmower-front-vs-rear-drive.html)

Kevin Ricks April 23rd 06 08:43 PM

Lawnmower..front vs. rear drive

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
I have to get a new mower soon and have been seeing a lot of rear
drive types advertised. Are there any significant advantages or
disadvantages to the rear drive as opposed to the front drive I am
used to?

I have a early 80's Toro with rear drive. I don't know about newer mowers
with rear drive, but with this one the rear tires don't rotate backwards.
They really do but not easily. This makes it hard to drag the mower out of
my shed.
For the same reason when mowing and doing a 180 deg. turn on my driveway the
inside wheel does not turn so it just grinds on the pavement leaving little
skid marks at each pivot turn. Note, I am disengaging the drive as I make
the turns.
When I got the Toro from my BIL, the rear tires were well worn, I replaced
them a couple of years ago ($20 each). They still look OK but I am sure they
ware out much faster than the front tires on a FWD mower.

Kevin