Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Default Barking Dogs and how to stop them

My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end. That damned hound from hell stands
at our fence, about 50 feet away, and has a very loud bark.This makes it
impossible to enjoy my patio, sipping a cool beer.

The neighbors are gone all day and could not care less. The city requires
that 3 homeowners complain about the barking. Problem is, all other
neighbors are beyond barking distance.

Short of shooting the neurotic dog, is there any way of stopping it from
barking? Do the highly touted super-sonic sound generators actually stop
dogs from barking? They are probably no more effective against dogs than
against termites.

Any ideas or suggestions?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

Have you talked to the neighbors? If they don't respond, call animal
control.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Animal control won't come out unless three neighbors complain. I don't have
three neighbors.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"whosthat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you talked to the neighbors? If they don't respond, call animal
control.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MiikeB

Walter R. wrote:

Any ideas or suggestions?

How long has this been going on?

I ask because in my last house I had pretty much the same thing when I
first moved in. The house I moved into had been vacant for 3 years so
the dog (huge, wolf-looking thing) was not used to someone being back
there on the other side of his fence, he would bark his fool head off as
long as I was outside cleaning up the overgrown yard or just sitting at
the picnic table.

I would just talk softly to it: "shut the hell up or I will kill you"
etc. & tossed it some food once. Once it figured out I was not going
away & not a threat it would look at me when I came out then go back to
sleeping or whatever it was doing.

Dogs mainly bark to alert to threats or because it wants attention. It
took maybe 2-3 months, but it did get used to me and was not a problem
anymore.

MikeB
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Walter R." wrote in message
My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end. That damned hound from hell

stands
at our fence, about 50 feet away, and has a very loud bark.This makes it
impossible to enjoy my patio, sipping a cool beer.

The neighbors are gone all day and could not care less. The city requires
that 3 homeowners complain about the barking. Problem is, all other
neighbors are beyond barking distance.

Short of shooting the neurotic dog, is there any way of stopping it from
barking? Do the highly touted super-sonic sound generators actually stop
dogs from barking? They are probably no more effective against dogs than
against termites.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Try one of those ultrasonic measuring tape things- they work great on cats.
Just aim it at the animal, and press the button. Only 20 bucks, so no big
loss if it doesn't work, and handy for other stuff. Have you introduced
yourself to the dog? Go up and let it sniff you, through the fence. This
house sat empty six months, and neighbor dog decided half this yard was his
turf/bathroom. Took six months before he stopped getting offended every time
I walked in or out.

Long term answer- plant a thick hedge along the fenceline.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"Walter R." wrote in message
Any ideas or suggestions?

Spray him with water from a garden hose...

Paintball gun... Maybe your neighbors will get the idea when them see him
with green and orange polka dots all over him...

Pepper spray?

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

several items came up when i searched ebay for:
outdoor anti-barking device

Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Bob

Walter R. wrote:
My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end. That damned hound from hell
stands at our fence, about 50 feet away, and has a very loud
bark.This makes it impossible to enjoy my patio, sipping a cool beer.

The neighbors are gone all day and could not care less. The city
requires that 3 homeowners complain about the barking. Problem is,
all other neighbors are beyond barking distance.

Short of shooting the neurotic dog, is there any way of stopping it
from barking? Do the highly touted super-sonic sound generators
actually stop dogs from barking? They are probably no more effective
against dogs than against termites.

Any ideas or suggestions?

You could go over everyone's head and have a court clerk hear what you have
to say about a lawsuit. He may still be guilty of disturbing the peace or
you could go over and bite him real hard. Hire a hit dog. Some of those Alfa
males have no conscience what so ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Make friends , feed it every day so it knows you as a friend or its
going to bark forever. Ultrasonic or anything you do to **** it off and
you will never get a minutes peace. It probably already hates you, so it
may take a week or two of good snacks like hot dogs ,to be friends. If
that fails just call 911.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Make friends , feed it every day so it knows you as a friend or its
going to bark forever. Ultrasonic or anything you do to **** it off and
you will never get a minutes peace. It probably already hates you, so it
may take a week or two of good snacks like hot dogs ,to be friends. If
that fails just call 911.

Bingo. The only way to go with dogs is positive reinforcement and rewarding
the dog.

Walk to the fence, if the dog stops barking for even a second, give it a
treat. Repeat. Continue for several weeks and you'll eliminate the
problem.

I'd tell the neighbors what I'm doing and find a way to point out that this
is more of a neighbor problem than a dog problem. Good neighbors don't
allow their dogs (or kids, or hobbies) to bother their neighbors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Bob

m Ransley wrote:
Make friends , feed it every day so it knows you as a friend or its
going to bark forever. Ultrasonic or anything you do to **** it off
and you will never get a minutes peace. It probably already hates
you, so it may take a week or two of good snacks like hot dogs ,to be
friends. If that fails just call 911.

That's a great idea. Give him an old dirty shirt to tear up and let him get
it out of his system. Then a big fat steak. Hey, I come over and start
barking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Walter R." wrote in message
My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end. That damned hound from hell
stands at our fence, about 50 feet away, and has a very loud bark.This
makes it impossible to enjoy my patio, sipping a cool beer.

The neighbors are gone all day and could not care less. The city requires
that 3 homeowners complain about the barking. Problem is, all other
neighbors are beyond barking distance.

Short of shooting the neurotic dog, is there any way of stopping it from
barking? Do the highly touted super-sonic sound generators actually stop
dogs from barking? They are probably no more effective against dogs than
against termites.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Walter

This might be easy:

1) Eliminate any thoughts of buying anything to solve the problem. Normal
people should not have to spend a penny to deal with dog owners.

2) Go to the police station and ask to speak to someone who can explain your
local noise ordinances. Some cops think the law is a secret, so jot down the
name of anyone who asks you why you want to know about these ordinances, and
then speak to their commanding officer. Take notes, and be sure to ask "Are
there any exceptions regarding the source of the noise?" Focus also on the
time of day included in those laws. Sometimes they apply and sometimes they
don't.

What you want to know is if the "3 neighbor" rule is part of the law
regarding dogs barking, or if that's also a requirement for all other kinds
of noise problems. I doubt it applies to all situations.

3) Go and speak NICELY to the neighbor about the problem, but just ONCE.
Don't mention the law. Just tell them it's impossible to enjoy your back
yard with all that noise, and ask if they can do something to remedy the
problem. If they ask you when you're usually outside, tell them "all the
time - it's hard to say".

4) The problem will continue. Call the cops. When they arrive, ask them to
come into the yard. Stand as close as possible to the barking dog, and speak
to the cop(s) in a very low conversational tone, until they decide it would
be better to get away from the noise because it's impossible to think or
have a conversation.

5) Tell the cops that you've had one polite conversation with the owner, and
"I understand the noise ordinances say this, that & the other thing". Cops
do not like domestic disturbances or problems with neighbors - they can get
out of hand faster than trying to talk an armed robber out of a convenience
store. They'll probably go talk to the neighbor, and let you know what was
said.

6) The problem will continue. Call the cops every single day until they get
so tired of the stupid dog owner that they'll find a way to make his life
miserable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem. the dog barked cause he was in need of
attention. on days i was home i'd bring the dog over (next door did not
mind). no more barking problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was the dog owner in such a problem Puddle was a big PIA. after
trying everything and having the police here all the time I got puddle
a friend susie. the bad behavior largely went away, poodles dont like
to be left alone she barked out of boredom. then the complaining
neighbor got a dog too. their dog emma barks calling my dogs out

Over the years most neighbors have gotten dogs, so mine dont stand out
anymore

one neighbor had a cop friend who became a problem.... officer
suggested we get rid of our dogs, and said he was assigned now to the
problem.
both not procedure I found out!

Not long before that I had been to the town about a sign the put in my
yard obstructing access to get my van in the yard. I complained at a
town council meeting so the town KNEW I was a troublemaker

I went to the town manager asking for all regulations on halfway houses
and welfare relocatees. The feds has decided to demolish projects for
the poor and rent them homes in the surburbs, decntralizing criime
drugs etc. I reported I had 2 homes and would MOVE

Leaving my complaing neighbor a REAL problem that not only would be a
big hassle but decrease home values close by and make more work for
police.

do understand I was stressed 7 people in my family died in 1.5 years,
including my step dad and mom, puddle was her dog I inherited, and
although I REALLY didnt want a dog, i couldnt get rid of puddle since
she was my moms....

town manager spoke with police chief never heard anything more While
I was at it I asked if the neighbor Dan was paying his mercantile tax
He had started a investment business and demanded absolute silence, he
had complained aboiut a neighbors kids playing basketball too....

Dan moved withing a few months He tried to make this yuppiville I
have lived here since 1972 its a nice convenient area but not a yuppy
area....

my point is be nice to your neighbors and attempt to work with them....

otherwise you might end up with a major headache way worse than some
noise.

ask before feeding dog treats, just to give them a heads up. be nice. I
think feeding goodies will work. you will be dogs best friend. visiting
petting etc with owners at your siude will help too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nail him in the butt with a good bb gun,,

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah get in serious trouble and pay vet bill too.

BB shot infected should be at least 700 dollar vet bill.

BB shot poster is out to lunch.... monitoring cameras and such are so
cheap today. he might even get recorded in color for the tv news.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your neigbors are idiots.
The dog will be easier to train than the neighbors.
Go and get a bag of dog treats, small dog biscuits.
Work on rewarding the dog for silence.
You might want to begin by taking a chair and a beer over to the fence.
Be patient, dogs are social animals and alone they bark. Your job is to
convince the dog he isn't alone and that you are a pack member with
rewards.
As you get results move your chair back from the fence a bit each day.
It could be worse you could have to train the neighbor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George

Walter R. wrote:
My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end. That damned hound from hell stands
at our fence, about 50 feet away, and has a very loud bark.This makes it
impossible to enjoy my patio, sipping a cool beer.

The neighbors are gone all day and could not care less. The city requires
that 3 homeowners complain about the barking. Problem is, all other
neighbors are beyond barking distance.

Short of shooting the neurotic dog, is there any way of stopping it from
barking? Do the highly touted super-sonic sound generators actually stop
dogs from barking? They are probably no more effective against dogs than
against termites.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I had a similar situation. Someone bought the house behind us and moved
in. They had a black lab and a little squeaky dog. Initially they would
put the dogs outside for 10 minutes. Soon that turned into 3 or more
hours. The dogs would bark continuously when they were outside. There
was no sign of them caring about the neighbors. One morning they put the
dogs out early and I went over and politely asked if they knew that the
dogs barked continuously when outside and it was quite an annoyance. The
owner gave me a stupid answer that their dogs were "inside dogs". I then
asked if he knew who was the owner of the dogs that were tied up in his
backyard. He gave me a stupid look and walked away. He or his wife
haven't talked to us since then and now the dogs only spend 10 minutes
outside. Both are OK with me.

In your case you may want to get a video camera and record an hour of
their nuisance and then politely present it to the neighbor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end.

We had ignorant neighbors like that at our last home. They would
leave the dog out at 3am to go to the bathroom, then they would go
back to bed and let the damn dog bark!

I spoke to her nicely and explained that it really was affecting our
quality of life.

Not only did she do nothing about the dog, but she never spoke to us
again.

So, if I have this problem again in the future, I will just kill the
dog.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message

My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end.

We had ignorant neighbors like that at our last home. They would
leave the dog out at 3am to go to the bathroom, then they would go
back to bed and let the damn dog bark!

I spoke to her nicely and explained that it really was affecting our
quality of life.

Not only did she do nothing about the dog, but she never spoke to us
again.

So, if I have this problem again in the future, I will just kill the
dog.

I'd be happy to contribute toward any expense you might incur for the
assassination.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

I can't figure why these types of people even HAVE dogs.

Some people just bought the house next door. Before they even moved
in, I saw the little white flags of an impending invisible fence and
thought "Uh-oh."

Fortunately, the dog doesn't bark. But I can't understand why you
would buy a Husky, and leave it outside 24/7. The thing just lies
there on the driveway, day and night, with no human interaction.

And most of the time their expensive "ragdoll" cat is lying there next
to it.

White trash with money.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
I can't figure why these types of people even HAVE dogs.

Some people just bought the house next door. Before they even moved
in, I saw the little white flags of an impending invisible fence and
thought "Uh-oh."

Fortunately, the dog doesn't bark. But I can't understand why you
would buy a Husky, and leave it outside 24/7. The thing just lies
there on the driveway, day and night, with no human interaction.

And most of the time their expensive "ragdoll" cat is lying there next
to it.

White trash with money.

If they interact with each other as little as they do with their animals,
they should be divorced soon, and maybe the house will be sold and you'll
have better neighbors. Or, maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

People will be people. If you can't abide hearing your neighbor's ax, then
you gotta move to a place where you can't hear them. As they say around
here, "If you can't pee off your front porch, then you live too close to
town." I can't imagine living in a place where you can see or hear your
neighbors, or their dogs.

Bob

wrote in message
I can't figure why these types of people even HAVE dogs.

Some people just bought the house next door. Before they even moved
in, I saw the little white flags of an impending invisible fence and
thought "Uh-oh."

Fortunately, the dog doesn't bark. But I can't understand why you
would buy a Husky, and leave it outside 24/7. The thing just lies
there on the driveway, day and night, with no human interaction.

And most of the time their expensive "ragdoll" cat is lying there next
to it.

White trash with money.

If they interact with each other as little as they do with their animals,
they should be divorced soon, and maybe the house will be sold and you'll
have better neighbors. Or, maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

There's a difference between noise that's occasional, which most reasonable
neighbors don't mind, and noise that's endless. I used to have a neighbor
who put her dog out every single night around midnight, and it barked
without pause. Do *not* try and equate that with someone mowing their lawn
or chopping wood.

As far as living out in the sticks - yeah, I'd like to. But, people need
jobs, and a long commute is not always an option, especially with gasoline
prices at these levels.

wrote in message
I can't figure why these types of people even HAVE dogs.

Some people just bought the house next door. Before they even moved
in, I saw the little white flags of an impending invisible fence and
thought "Uh-oh."

Fortunately, the dog doesn't bark. But I can't understand why you
would buy a Husky, and leave it outside 24/7. The thing just lies
there on the driveway, day and night, with no human interaction.

And most of the time their expensive "ragdoll" cat is lying there next
to it.

White trash with money.

If they interact with each other as little as they do with their animals,
they should be divorced soon, and maybe the house will be sold and you'll
have better neighbors. Or, maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We now have 4 dogs, and a doggie door with 6 foot chain linked back
yard fence.

they come and go as they please from inside outside, and we dont have
to open the door.

someday i want to have 5 acres, with a 4 acre buffer of trees, the
interior acre fenced in for our furry friends

hurt or kill your neighbors pet and do jail time, its occured locally.

not only that most folks have pets of some sort, your friends and
neighbors may shunn you if your found to hurt a animal.........

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...

hurt or kill your neighbors pet and do jail time, its occured locally.

That's because the person didn't do it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Hire Robin Williams to do three voices from your phone?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Walter R." wrote in message
Animal control won't come out unless three neighbors complain. I don't
have
three neighbors.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-
"whosthat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you talked to the neighbors? If they don't respond, call

animal
control.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

We have a local law that requires three neighbors to sign a complaint
about a barking dog in order to fine the owner of a barking dog or
dogs. One neighbor had 16 large dogs, most of them were quiet, but
the waste caused a marked increase in flies and odor. I find it
unusual that city laws do not limit the number of dogs. Bark collars
work, but some think it is a type of cruel training.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Phisherman" wrote in message
We have a local law that requires three neighbors to sign a complaint
about a barking dog in order to fine the owner of a barking dog or
dogs. One neighbor had 16 large dogs, most of them were quiet, but
the waste caused a marked increase in flies and odor. I find it
unusual that city laws do not limit the number of dogs. Bark collars
work, but some think it is a type of cruel training.

Call the ASPCA and ask what they suggest for these situations. Every now and
then, there are news stories about people with LOTS of pets getting into
trouble because they aren't treating them all correctly. You never know....

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Phisherman" wrote in message
We have a local law that requires three neighbors to sign a complaint
about a barking dog in order to fine the owner of a barking dog or
dogs. One neighbor had 16 large dogs, most of them were quiet, but
the waste caused a marked increase in flies and odor. I find it
unusual that city laws do not limit the number of dogs. Bark collars
work, but some think it is a type of cruel training.

Call the ASPCA and ask what they suggest for these situations. Every now

and
then, there are news stories about people with LOTS of pets getting into
trouble because they aren't treating them all correctly. You never

know....
As long as the dog is well fed and healthy, it won't be a high priority for
any of the rescue groups. Here's another idea- buy them another dog! My
former BIL had a black lab that was a real PITA, but as soon as he got a 3/4
size twin for it, all the problems went away. Poor thing just needed a
playmate for those long days alone.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:45:00 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

We have a local law that requires three neighbors to sign a complaint
about a barking dog in order to fine the owner of a barking dog or
dogs. One neighbor had 16 large dogs, most of them were quiet, but
the waste caused a marked increase in flies and odor. I find it
unusual that city laws do not limit the number of dogs.

The city of Rochester, New York, clearly limits the number of dogs to
four: http://www.cityofrochester.gov/index.cfm?id=397 This link also
addresses the barking issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan C

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:55:33 +0000, Walter R. wrote:

My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end. That damned hound from hell stands
at our fence, about 50 feet away, and has a very loud bark.This makes it
impossible to enjoy my patio, sipping a cool beer.

Give it beer until it passes out.

If that doesn't work, poison it.

Linux Registered User #327951

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"KLS" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:45:00 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

We have a local law that requires three neighbors to sign a complaint
about a barking dog in order to fine the owner of a barking dog or
dogs. One neighbor had 16 large dogs, most of them were quiet, but
the waste caused a marked increase in flies and odor. I find it
unusual that city laws do not limit the number of dogs.

The city of Rochester, New York, clearly limits the number of dogs to
four: http://www.cityofrochester.gov/index.cfm?id=397 This link also
addresses the barking issue.

I'd be surprised if our city were unusual in this respect. Worth checking
into, regardless of where you live. At the very least, you might find that
owners of more than whatever number are required to have a license to run a
kennel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"ameijers" wrote in message

[...]

No...never spend a penny to solve a problem caused by a dog owner/criminal.
Dogs have no business in the presence of a polite society. Their owners
should bear 100% of the onus of keeping them from disturbing the peace of
normal people.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Walter R." wrote in message ...
My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end. That damned hound from hell stands
at our fence, about 50 feet away, and has a very loud bark.This makes it
impossible to enjoy my patio, sipping a cool beer.

The neighbors are gone all day and could not care less. The city requires
that 3 homeowners complain about the barking. Problem is, all other
neighbors are beyond barking distance.

Short of shooting the neurotic dog, is there any way of stopping it from
barking? Do the highly touted super-sonic sound generators actually stop
dogs from barking? They are probably no more effective against dogs than
against termites.

Any ideas or suggestions?

When I bought my first house, the neighbor had a dog that yapped at me anytime
it saw me. I was constantly greeted when I came home by it's obnoxious barking.
I finally set up my hose with the water on and the spray nozzle hanging conveniently
on the fence. Every time I got home, the dog barked, and I blasted it with the hose.
After about 6 weeks, it quit barking at me.I could go anywhere in my yard without
annoyance. But, the dog would still bark at anyone else in my yard. The hedge I planted
made no difference.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

all these replies....

Has anyone mentioned anti-freeze?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Kathy" wrote in message
. ..
all these replies....

Has anyone mentioned anti-freeze?

Good idea, but the suggestion usually wrecks these conversations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Yeah, you trollish bass turds tend to do that. There are many
white papers showing that those who will easily kill animals are
likely to also kill an innocent human being eventually, and most
killers were also animal abusers earlier in their lives. Sounds
like you guys.
"Never forget that everything Hitler did
in Germany was legal." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
. ..
all these replies....

Has anyone mentioned anti-freeze?

Good idea, but the suggestion usually wrecks these
conversations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddy

Walter R. wrote:
My neighbor's dog barks for hours on end. That damned hound from hell stands
at our fence, about 50 feet away, and has a very loud bark.This makes it
impossible to enjoy my patio, sipping a cool beer.

The neighbors are gone all day and could not care less. The city requires
that 3 homeowners complain about the barking. Problem is, all other
neighbors are beyond barking distance.

Short of shooting the neurotic dog, is there any way of stopping it from
barking? Do the highly touted super-sonic sound generators actually stop
dogs from barking? They are probably no more effective against dogs than
against termites.

Any ideas or suggestions?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Walt, I had a very similar situation, with a real asshole of a
neighbor. The dog would bark at all hours of the day and night and
being in our house afforded little relief. What worked for me, though
it takes some time, is check any noise or nuisance ordinances in your
area. Also, if you have a county magistrate or small claims court, you
might try that on grounds that you are being effectively denied the use
and enjoyment of your propery. I would strongly suggest recording the
dog and start keeping a log...may prove useful in a small claims or
magistrates court. The idiot living behind me ended up paying $1600 in
fines.
-

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article 0LM2g.847$7c.262@trndny01, Pop says...

Yeah, you trollish bass turds tend to do that. There are many
white papers showing that those who will easily kill animals are
likely to also kill an innocent human being eventually, and most
killers were also animal abusers earlier in their lives. Sounds
like you guys.
--

Do you include the local butcher shop or rendering plant in that?

That data refers to people torturing animals for their own entertainment. That
isn't this situation, so don't be so shrill.

The problem is, some (note I said *some*) dog owners don't want to do anything,
stay under the radar one way or the other of the law (by temporary compliance
then back-sliding, or lying, or whatever) and the option left to their neighbors
isn't a pretty one. In a country setting, the loose dog problem gets solved
rather quickly and becomes a lost dog problem. Penned dogs barking is another
problem. But if the dog owner doesn't give a solution, some neighbors will
solve it.

If you dont' like it, advocate that dog owners be responsible. That's all there
is to it.

Banty