DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PAINT A FIBERGLASS TUB? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/154286-paint-fiberglass-tub.html)

April Inyard April 20th 06 09:46 PM

PAINT A FIBERGLASS TUB?

I have a blue fiberglass tub that would be more expensive to replace than
it's worth. Does anyone know if it's possible to refinish a fiberglass
bathtub? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

April

PipeDown April 21st 06 01:10 AM

PAINT A FIBERGLASS TUB?

Its certainly possible. The main thing you need is gelcoat. Just yahoogle
fiberglass repair or gel coat.

Michael Daly April 21st 06 05:39 AM

PAINT A FIBERGLASS TUB?

On 20-Apr-2006, "PipeDown" wrote:

Its certainly possible. The main thing you need is gelcoat. Just yahoogle
fiberglass repair or gel coat.

You'd never get gelcoat smooth enough without a lot of work. It would be
easier to go with an epoxy paint. Check with a marine supply place for such
paints used for painting fiberglass hulls.

Mike

Art April 21st 06 01:38 PM

PAINT A FIBERGLASS TUB?

There are companies that can cover tubs with a new fiberglass or plastic
skin custom made to fit.

Frank Boettcher April 21st 06 02:12 PM

PAINT A FIBERGLASS TUB?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:46:49 -0400, "April Inyard"
wrote:

I have a blue fiberglass tub that would be more expensive to replace than
it's worth. Does anyone know if it's possible to refinish a fiberglass
bathtub? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

April

No, but I've painted fiberglass boats. You want catalyzed
polyurethane. Several trade names Awlgrip, Imron. There are others.
It is expensive, relatively speaking.

Should be sprayed. Job for a professional unless you are equiped and
skilled. Cat poly shouldn't be used without the proper respiratory
protection equipment.

Frank

[email protected] April 21st 06 02:42 PM

PAINT A FIBERGLASS TUB?

One more alternative would be to sand the tub evenly dull with
2000-grit wet paper, and then restore the shine with increasingly finer
buffing compounds. This is something that is within the capabilities
of the average DIYer with enough elbow grease. I've taken scratches
out of my Jacuzzi this way.

Oh, by the way, never ever scour your tub with the green side of a
Scotch Bright kitchen sponge.