DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   goodman a/c not cooling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/154284-goodman-c-not-cooling.html)

[email protected] April 20th 06 09:39 PM

goodman a/c not cooling

Hey, I have an all goodman system, Gmnt100-4 furnace, u-49 coil, and a
clt48-1a compressor. This replace a heil heat only system. Heat works
great but the a/c doesn't. I't will not cool down the house. 2 techs
said the charge was good. 1 tech didn't know what was wrong, the other
says the u49 coil is too small for the clt48 (13seer) compressor. He
said even though there both 4 ton, the u49 was made for a 10seer
compressor. He want to replace the coil w/ a 5 ton. Are they not
compadible? Is this the right thing to do? I was wondering if the duct
work in the house was too small and I'd be better off with a 3.5 ton
compressor w/ the 4ton coil. Any Ideas? Running the a/c w/ the cover
off the furnace doesn't help, I guess that means it has enough returned

air. It doesn't freeze up. Thanks

Travis Jordan April 20th 06 09:44 PM

goodman a/c not cooling

wrote:
Hey, I have an all goodman system, Gmnt100-4 furnace, u-49 coil, and a
clt48-1a compressor. This replace a heil heat only system. Heat works
great but the a/c doesn't. I't will not cool down the house.

The A/C may be undersized. When the sales guy did the Manual J
calculation, what did it say you needed in BTU? Is your duct work sized
appropriately for the airflow required at 400 cfm/ton?

If your response is "the contractor didn't do a heat gain calculation"
then you know what to do next, right?

Travis Jordan April 20th 06 10:06 PM

goodman a/c not cooling

wrote:
Hey, I have an all goodman system, Gmnt100-4 furnace, u-49 coil, and a
clt48-1a compressor. This replace a heil heat only system. Heat works
great but the a/c doesn't. I't will not cool down the house.

Nothing wrong with that combination....44K BTU output.

Certificate of ARI-Certified Performance
The following
Single Phase, Year-Round Air-Conditioner, Remote Air-Cooled Condensing
Unit
Outdoor Unit Model Number: CLT48-1*
combined with
Indoor Unit Model Number: ARUF049-00*-1*
manufactured by: GOODMAN MANUFACTURING CO., LP.
under the Trade/Brand Name: Janitrol, GMC, Franklin, Goodman, Amana,
EverStar, EverRest
has been rated in accordance with
ARI Standard 210/240-2005 for UNITARY AIR-CONDITIONING AND AIR-SOURCE
HEAT PUMP EQUIPMENT
and is certified by the Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute to
meet
the following product performance ratings:
Cooling Capacity (Btuh): 44000
* Voluntarily revised, unless accompanied with a WAS in which case the
change is involuntary.
SEER Rating (Cooling): 13.00
ARI Reference #: 517622
Today's Date: 04 / 20 /06

Kathy April 21st 06 03:27 AM

goodman a/c not cooling

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
[...]

I would have matched a u-61 with that condenser for a higher seer
rating. The 49 might be just enough with the variable speed
blower but I would still go with the bigger coil with a 4 ton
condenser.

CJT April 21st 06 05:10 AM

goodman a/c not cooling

Bubba wrote:

On 20 Apr 2006 13:39:57 -0700, "
wrote:

Hey, I have an all goodman system, Gmnt100-4 furnace, u-49 coil, and a
clt48-1a compressor. This replace a heil heat only system. Heat works
great but the a/c doesn't. I't will not cool down the house. 2 techs
said the charge was good. 1 tech didn't know what was wrong, the other
says the u49 coil is too small for the clt48 (13seer) compressor. He
said even though there both 4 ton, the u49 was made for a 10seer
compressor. He want to replace the coil w/ a 5 ton. Are they not
compadible? Is this the right thing to do? I was wondering if the duct
work in the house was too small and I'd be better off with a 3.5 ton
compressor w/ the 4ton coil. Any Ideas? Running the a/c w/ the cover
off the furnace doesn't help, I guess that means it has enough returned

air. It doesn't freeze up. Thanks

Sucks pretty much when you keep looking for the cheapest drunk you can
find to repair your system, doesnt it?
You get what you pay for.
Bubba

That certainly seems true about your response.